Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advanced riders course for learner

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Parso, Oct 7, 2014.

1. HI all, I am begging my riding experience at the ripe old age of 42 (43 in November) I have my L's now and made a deposit on a 2014 DL 650 V-Strom. Its been 20 years since I last rode when me and my brother use to ride the bush around MT Sugarloaf just above Wet Wallsend in Newcastle.

What a thrill it was to ride the V-Strom instant smile on my face as I changed up the gears so comfortable and being a large lad it sat just right under my big frame. I felt at home with great vision and the bike is so easy to ride a sheer pleasure. I should be picking it up in a few days and cant wait to start my training.

I really want to make this bike and the new part of my life something I learn as much as I from riding as slow as I can, making u - turns and eventually feeling comfortable in long sweeping turns. I do have a ways to go and I'm the first to admit it, slowly does it one step at a time.

So a few questions I have is when would it be a good time to take an advanced riders course or the like (I am yet to get my P's)? Any advice from other V-Strom riders on bike set up accessories etc and how does a learner rider improve, what things should one do drills etc? To this end are there any experienced riders in Newcastle that wouldn't mind showing an oldish do a few new tricks?

Anyway as soon as I get the new bike will post a few pictures and keep you all in the loop as to how I go.

PS: Netrider what a fantastic site for a learner rider like myself, I have read the new rider tips on cornering and it was fantastic. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome to riding :) Or welcome back to riding :)

Normally I would say you should have a full licence + some experience before doing any advanced course. This is because with less experience you are really still getting comfortable with motorcycle control and don't have that much brain power left over for further learning.

However now there is this ridiculous 3-year provisional period in Australia, I'd say you could do it on your P-phase (although does NSW have only a 1-year P-period for riders/drivers over 25?; in that case you could do it after a year).

I started riding relatively late too, in my mid-30s. Following getting my licence, I did an advanced course following the British police road craft system of riding. The general policy, though always enforced, of the training provider was they liked students to have a year of experience before starting advanced training. So in your case perhaps you could do it in around a year.

The benefits of further post-licence-test training are of course you can make better progress with higher levels of safety and a rarely or never surprised (unpleasantly surprised that is) while you are out riding.

For how to improve: the best way if you have limited experience is to go on a week long touring trip on your bike. You will be a lot better at everything after that. Especially packing ;)

Another tip: many crashes happen when a rider fails to negotiate a turn (around 1/3 of injury causing crashes). Almost always, you can make the turn. If you make a mistake and enter a turn too fast, trust your bike, push the bars a bit more and you will make it.

3. I'm a bit biased, having just done a course I really enjoyed (https://hart.securewebsite.com.au/course/victoria/advanced/advanced-i---intermediate.html), but I would recommend something similar. Don't know about you, but also being a late starter, I feel less willing than I might have been 20 years ago to find limits by bouncing along the road, so doing some learning in an environment away from road hazards was invaluable.

Having said that, I'd leave it until you have done a few hundred kms on your Ps. That way you'll get some of the basics under your belt on your own time, and go into a course with your own focus on what you're struggling with, what you already feel competent at, etc. Take everything very easy, get yourself to the stage of being somewhat comfortable with being on your bike in different situations (amongst flowing and stop/start traffic, on country roads, freeways etc) then enrol on a course to set you up with practice material for the following few months.

4. Thanks guys for your replys, I take your points taht perhaqps best to get a few K's under my belt before any further training (besides I have to get my P's yet). I guess I am just over keen to get riding.

Cris, will take your advice on taking it easy. Like I said Im almost 43 and I think my ego to go fast and keep up with the rest of the pack has been replacesd by caution so as not to get hurt!

Plan than is to keep riding get my P's and then look at advanced training.

Thanks again gents.

Cheers.

5. Hey I just completed the BMW Motorrad Off Road training course at Mt Seaview. Great course and great bunch. Makes you want to get out and do more.....even a safari.

6. Howdy. Welcome to the forum. As an 'old' 40 year old I also returned to biking after many years away.

I suggest first getting your P plate. As stated, gain some saddle time and confidence before attending some Advanced courses. It will mean so much more then.

I guess everyone on Netrider has his or her favourite course provider. Look into HART, Toprider, MotoDna, California Superbike School for details on what they provide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. +1 on the BMW Motorrad course, they really look the goods, they do run an "any makes" course as well, just not as often. content looks to be wide ranging and comprehensive.

8. I did the HART road skills and confidence course at Snives after having my Ls (first time rider) for about 9 weeks. Was fanbloody tastic as no traffic so you could really concentrate on various aspects d you got some one on one advice, learnt to pick the bloody bike up (using a really neat way too!) emergency stops etc.
    Was also good to gauge how my riding was going as well...I then was hugely spoilt by getting mentored (priceless honestly!!!)
    and I went back to do the HART Advanced I. Now that was ...just friggin wonderful...hot footed it with the cornering, walked corner lines, got one on one instruction, emergency braking at speed and emergency braking mid cornering, tight cornering using rear braking...I want to do it again.

But best feedback I got was it was the same guy who had me in the first course and he remembered me (hopefully because I am an old boiler not because I am a dick ;) ) and he was very impressed with the improvement and thought my cornering etc just needed practice but the basics were there and that my mentor , Mr WombleWomble should be greatly congratulated for a job well done! :)
    The instructor reckoned give it 6-12 months and go do Advanced II at the track :D

PS you even get a certificate...wooohoo on my wall at home...na only joking but you can use it to get your insurance premium reduced

• Like Like x 1
  9. Worthwhile knowing OldmaidOldmaid thanks!

10. I was the same when I test rode my bike at the dealership, first ride in 25 years. Felt nervous but it all came back to me after a few minutes. When I got back the guy asks how it went, I said "it was fcuking awesome dude!" Had to wait a week to pick it up, longest week of my life! Enjoy your new ride!

• Like Like x 2