Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advanced course in ACT? {moved from general discssion}

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by nethern, Sep 29, 2011.

1. I am in ACT and looking at joining an advanced training course with bike hiring.

any suggestion?

2. Re: Advanced course in ACT?

As far as I'm aware, there's only Stay Upright. You should be able to hire one of their bikes but using your own will give you a more satisfying result.
  3. Re: Advanced course in ACT?

Yes, Stay Upright instructors at the Sutton Road driver training centre. They have a 2 way road loop circuit (you only go one direction, but its so you practice road based technique)
  4. I called them. They said the bike they can provide is a 250 honda. That is ridiculous. The training course is not covered by my insurance - QBE.

BTW, is the course on the track at the back of the Sutton rd centre? Does the course need speed?
  5. Yes the track is the one at the back of the Sutton Road Driver Training Centre. There is a longish straight (good for 200+kmh on the 'blade) followed by an open left hander that might be a bit boring on a 250, but the rest of the corners should be fine. I think the course is worth doing, I enjoyed it, but I don't know what it would have been like on one of their bikes.

As a point of interest, insuremyride will cover you on this track when you do this course (and I think once you have done the course you get a discount on your premium).

Aerial view of the track
  6. Are you sure you're not covered. Stay Upright is an approved training centre with QBE, unless the PDA has changed since I last read it.

Don't worry too much about speed. Once you learn how to control the bike smoothly, you can then increase how fast you take the course. Mind you, I haven't done the Advanced 1 practical course yet.