Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Adult Education Course - Swedish

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by brownyy, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Hey all;

Anyone ever done one of those adult education courses? I want to learn Swedish for my future travels. The course costs $366 for around 4 months of wednesday night classes which are 1.5 hours in length.

Back ground info, done engineering at uni and all that shit so should be able to deal with the whole class room enviroment again, however never dealt with language stuff or that type of learning. I only speak Australian and Hoon.

Any advice / comments? Or am I best to wait until I get to Europe to learn a language of the country I settle in?? (Other possiably is Norway).

2. .hsidewS gnikaeps era uoy neht duol tuo ecnetnes siht daer nac uoy fI
  3. .. I have (brielfly) worked in Norway (Stavanger).. and found that English was fine, and will probably not be a problem in most places over the pond.

However, it never hurts to learn the local lingo...

If you are not sure where you will end up working/staying... maybe don't do a specific language course until you know... or until you get there. It's easier to pick up the lingo when you are residing there.

Or.. get language tapes/books to start you off if you want to test the water.
  4. Volvo Abba Ikea
  5. Couple of things.

A friend of mine did a BA in Scandinavian Studies which seemed to be principally language based. She reckoned that if you can get by in one of the norse languages, you will be basically OK throughout the region, from Iceland to Finland, to Denmark.

My father, 40 years ago, had business dealings with a Swedish company and made a couple of trips over there. On the first occasion, he expressed embarassment that, whilst his hosts spoke fluent English, he had not a word of Swedish. They said that was OK as only about 5 million people in the world speak Swedish, as opposed to 400 million+ English speakers, so there wasn't much point foreigners learning it.

I'd say go for it. Extra languages are good. That course fee sounds pretty reasonable to me.
  6. brownyy mate,

surely these are going to be the only 3 word you need, can't be that hard to learn?

hej, vill knulla :rofl:
  7. hahaha
  8. I attended a course in Mandarin language at the CAE, Melbourne last year. The course was very enjoyable. I found it beneficial to ensure that I made it to each class. For convenience, I will be changing to a different TAFE to continue with my studies next semester.
  9. Gotta say Swedish is kind of an obscure language to learn just because you might go there.

Also consider that if you do the course then don't have the opportunity to use it, it will go out of your head in a few weeks. Better off leaving it to the last minute.

I would image that most of these more obscure language countries in Europe would be speaking pretty good England these days anyway.

Even in Germany a mate of mine is having trouble learning because every time he goes to use it they reply to him in English.
  10. Well, no shit? :wink:
  11. #11 MV, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  12. I was in sydney near the opera house a few years back and these two cute swedish girls asked me to take a picture of them in front of the steps with the sails in the background.

I said no problem - I will have to move back a bit then focus and say okay when ready

One of them replied ok you can foc-us if you want but take the picture first then we will take you back to our hotel
  13. Lol. funnily enough there was a high attrition rate in the Mandarin class. I'd hazard a guess that it was close to 50% by the end of the course. One chap only attended for one week.
    But, it's worth persisting.
  14. :worthlesspics:
  15. Thanks all. I have the recommended text book thingo with mp3's etc... (originally had them on my iPod, its great pumping through the twisties listening to something that stretches throttle cables then you get told how to ask for bread and milk in Swedish).

My main goal is to land a job in Norway or Sweden and [strike]root[/strike] work with the locals in a local company maybe in my industry if not profession (what ever the f--k that is). I did read somewhere that the Scandinavian countries can understand each other fairly well etc, and I know about the knowledge of english etc but if I intend to work their full time I'd rather know the local language. Only reason I want to learn here is in case they want to charge an arm and a leg for it over there, Norway been Norway and all (super expensive living I hear).

Stewy, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of ya... :grin:
  16. You'll find in all the Scandanavian countries anyone under 30-40 will speak very good English, albeit with a strange (and somewhat sexy I think!) accent. Older persons may not speak English well or at all.

My wife is Finnish and we lived there for a year. I went to language school there for 4 months 5 days a week and I still can't speak it very well, but maybe that's just me. Finnish is quite difficult to learn compared to Sweedish though.

But my goodness the women are smoking hot IMHO :)
  17. I'm certainly up for a Swedish Adult Entertainment Course if anyone know of one.
  18. I did four years of Turkish at CAE, and all but the last of them were very good. (Our teacher left, and the replacement wasn't great.) If you are doing mp3s, I'd recommend the Pimmsleur ones. They are expensive, but very good. I think they work well when you use them in conjunction with another form of study.
  19. I thought you meant this when you said Adult Education Course...

Disgruntled dog understands me :)
  20. Yep. Agree. I lived in Norway years ago and travelled in Sweden and Iceland a little. The languages are very closely related. The Icelandic being an older version similar to what is called Gammel Norsk (not sure of the spelling as it was 20 years ago.)

In also have to agree that many people there speak English and won't give you the opportunity to practice when they pick an accent so push on and answer their English with Norwegian / Swedish (Language of choice). :)

If you want to make an effort now with any language at home get a heap of post it notes and as you learn the names of things around the house put the translation up for it. Freserskappe etc. then repeat the words as you walk past them and notice them.

Work on the sentence structure and learn the words as you go along.

Perhaps some links here could help: http://www.apronus.com/norsk/norsk_links.htm

I haven't had a look at any of them but came across them looking for the name of the book I learnt from. When I recall it I will let you know as it was terrific.

Also as you get better and since you are going try and get work in a technical field then try and track down a Teknisk Ordbok (Technical Dictionary) which will help.

I wish I still had the skills, but I have had little opportunity to practice since being back in Australia and 20 + years is a long time.

Good luck with it. A nice language to learn and fantastic countries and people to experience. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Skål. :D