Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ADSL & ADSL2 Modem question

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pvda, Jan 12, 2010.

1. I finally caved in and am going to ADSL at home (I do the majority of my computing at work so never really needed it).

For the amount of usage I'm only going ADSL rather than ADSL2 (ADSL is cheaper).

The reason for this thread is to ask the question "is an ADSL2 modem reverse compatible with plain ordinary ADSL.

I like the idea of a combined Wireless Router & Modem and the ADSL2 version are easier to find and buy.

So can I buy an ADSL2 Modem and use it on ADSL??
  2. Yes, you can. Hope that helps!
  3. Depending on the ISP you are going to use, and the plan length if you go that way, you can get the modem for free.
    Way up the costs of going on a plan, against buying a modem, and paying the monthly fee, can be cheaper to go on a plan.
  4. As already mentioned a lot of ISPs will give you a free or subsidised modem (which would almost certainly be ADSL2+ compatible in this day and age) with the added benefit that it would be pre configured with the right settings for use with that provider and they will usually provide support for devices obtained through them as well. If you don't have a device supplied by them then they will often use that as an excuse to not help you when something goes wrong.
  5. Ta, thought the ADSL2 units would be reverse compatible but wanted to make sure.
  6. pvda, who are you going to go with? For more info on plans check out http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/ and the "Broadband Choice" option.

ISPs who install their own DSLAMs in Telstra exchanges generally offer DSL2+ cheaper than DSL1. Reason being is that DSL1 is a resold Telstra service.
  7. I have a Netcomm NB1300W Plus 4 ADSL modem/router that is going to go in the bin. If you decide that ADSL it will be for you (as it was for me - was fast enough with 1500 speed I had with iPrimus) then you can have it if you want it.

There's nothing wrong with the modem. I used it for 3 years until I sold my place, moved in with my ex then never needed an internet connection again. It worked fine the last time I used it in Sep 08.
  8. My employer :angel:

Staff discount makes it reasonably attractive =D>