Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ADR yokeless motorcycles

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Salad Cycle, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Below you can see that requirement "d)" relates to the horizontal distance between the yoke and the center of the wheel being less than 55cm. What if the motorcycle does not have a yoke because it has center hub or virtual hub center steering?
    nsw handle bar.

2. The intent of the ADR was to ban choppers. Build a bike that doesn't look like a chopper and noone will care whether it complies with the letter of the ADR.

Ultimately, if you build a bike from scratch or perform radical modifications, it will need a report by an engineer. It then becomes their problem as to how to interpret the ADR but, like I said, as long as the thing has a safe amount of trail (the most critical bit of steering geometry) and you haven't given it 12" over springers, there shouldn't be any problem regardless of how the ADR is interpreted.
  3. That's beyond a yoke.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. the steering must have a bearing or two that it rotates around... unless you have some fancy axle steering thing? so you just use the virtual centre of the bearing bits..

the rule is to prevent dumbarsery like this...

although they have a better rake angle than something like this.. which would likely never turn... (though the bearing angle is much better than the fork angle makes it appear..)
  5. I'd have one of these in a heartbeat
  6. Heatbeat might be OK, but I reckon your nuts would get blistered.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. The trouble with hub-centre steering is that, regardless of the theoretical advantages, it doesn't work all that well. Not well enough to justify the complication anyway. It's notable that, for all their crudity and engineering horror, the hydraulic telescopic fork has so far proved unbeatable in its combination of simplicity, ease of manufacture and, after 70 odd years of continual development, good real-world performance.
  8. Never liked corners anyway. ;p
  9. #11 hornet, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  10. I still maintain that if the unitised shock absorber had been developed before the telescopic fork we'd all be riding around with girders now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. This one?

12. That's the beast, see the colour shot in posted in my edit above!!
  13. yeah..ADR is one of those things that should move with the times. But I agree some choppers used to look hideous....
    This comes from China - another fork-less design for a bike
  14. Wow!! That's some interesting technology, even allowing for the cute English spelling :LOL:
  15. and the Bimota Tesi 3D
    good luck converting another bike to similar, and getting engineer approval on a budget..
  16. That's a spectacular piece of engineering, isn't it???