Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National ADR Approvals - Where are they online?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by rcheli32, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Hi clever folk,

I've been looking for ADR vehicle approvals to work out why some bikes seem to get approval with a rear fender that is above the imaginary 45degree line (naturally like many I'd like to be running a fender eliminator, legally).

Where can these be found? I've seen them online before, but no amount of googling seems to be able to locate them now.

2. *face palm*...I'll just let myself out.

Apologies to you Ross.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks to both of you, looks like I've got some reading to do!

Yep, just as I thought. I ask you, have you ever, in your life, seen a Ducati with a rear fender that looks like this?

(hope that link works).

So basically the bikes that manufacturers get approval for are not what you pick up from the dealer, correct?
  4. That image cannot be unseen, damn.
  5. *nods*

No expert on the topic, but that is my theory.

BTW, manufacturers don't get approval. The RVCS allows them to electronically certify that the vehicles that they supply to the Australian market meet prescribed safety standards specified in the ADR's. Motorcycle then gets shipped over and by the time they are placed on the showroom floor changes have been made after they've already been certified. That is why you don't buy a new bike as shown in the photo you linked to.

You then ride out of the shop on your stock new bike, get stopped by police and slapped with a minor or major defect vehicle notice.

@danny_tb @PatB may be able to assist further.

6. That is a dumb ass system, and therefore entirely plausible that our government would use it.

I'm mostly frustrated because I don't understand how the 45 degree rule was determined, I have never found any science/research showing how the difference between o, 45, and 90 degrees makes any difference to the amount of spray or projectiles that come off the rear tire. Now if we were talking about mudflaps like cars that go right down close to the road I'd see a big reduction in the amount of spray/stones, but at 45 degrees I'd have thought anything being flung off the tire would already have done so? So taking the fender up higher will have little if any further reduction on tire spray?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. #9 Zim, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Probably the same way clear blinker lens suddenly appeared,whats the point of having blinkers if even a direct look misses seeing them by me in bright sunlight.
    Just because some bureaucrat arbitrarily passes a reg doesn't mean squat to me.
    Nobody tests any of this in the real world,mostly its fashion and marketing.I love my old pre ADR bike and set it up to suit me.BTW dont try riding in the rain without a front guard,its suprising just how much spray gets stopped by them.
  8. This might help

14.3. Wheel Guards for L-Group Vehicles
    14.3.1. Wheel guards may consist of either permanent body structure or part structure and other components, including mudflaps, provided the specified protection is retained during vehicle operation.
    14.3.2. General Requirements
    The wheels of a vehicle and the wheel of a side-car must be fitted with wheel guards of width not less than the ‘Section Width’ of the tyre. The wheel guards must be so designed as to protect other road users, as far as practicable, against thrown-up stones, mud, ice, snow and water and to reduce for those users the dangers due to contact with the moving wheels.
    14.3.3. Special Requirements Rear ‘Axle’ and Side-car
    The wheel guard provided for the rear wheel and for the wheel of any side-car must extend not less than from a point vertically above the foremost part of the wheel rearward to a point not higher than the intersection of the arc of the wheel guard with a line through the centre of the wheel at 45 degrees to a horizontal plane through the centre of the wheel when a mass of 45 kg is distributed in the saddle of the vehicle at its ‘Unladen Mass’. Front ‘Axle
    Where a wheel guard(s) is provided for the frontAxle’, it must extend not less than from a point vertically above the centre of the wheel rearward to a point not higher than the centre of the wheel or to the point where suitable protection is afforded by the frame or other construction of the vehicle when a mass of 45 kg is distributed in the saddle of the vehicle at its ‘Unladen Mass’.
    • Agree Agree x 1