Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Bravus, May 8, 2007.

1. The Spada came back from getting a new front tire on Saturday (very happy with the BT45 that replaced an 'Exedra', whatever that is), and in the process the front brake had been tightened up significantly. (i.e. less lever movement for more braking power). Made me realise how spongy it had been before, but also worried me a bit that I'd grab too big a handful in an emergency situation.

How do you deal with these kinds of fairly dramatic changes in the 'feel' of a bike you've become very comfortable with? There are lots of possible variables that would do it to ya, not just brakes... I assume there's a settling in period, but are there other things that make the human adjustment that follows the mechanical adjustment quicker and smoother?

2. In a word: practice.

Find an empty carpark and give it a workout. Do it several times (even daily) for a while until you're comfortable. A few runs should suffice.

I somtimes do this after a wash (I prefer the do-it-yourself carwash method) to ensure that everything is dry/safe. Probably looks a bit odd/noobish, though :oops:
  3. Yep, best thing to do with anything that's changed. Practise your normal braking, as well as your emergency braking. A few runs should be enough, but keep on doing it until you're confident with it.

That said, if your braking is up to par to begin with, then you shouldn't have much of an issue with it, as it is still the same technique of setting up and squeezing.
  4. Trouble is that things tend to get out of alignment/need adjusting which is what mechanics are for....they know how it 'should' be. The same thing happens when I have my clutch replaced, new tyres means I can point and shoot instead of adjusting for the flat spot, valve adjustments mean I don't need to stop for petrol as often, etc, etc....

It won't take you long to get back into how it should be :wink:
  5. I might be simple, but I don't get the problem? You can reduce the efficiency of a properly adjusted brake by simply not pulling so hard, but no amount of pulling is going to make a maladjusted brake as efficient as a well adjusted one......
  6. I'm talking about human factors, I guess... of course you can do exactly as you say in a relatively calm situation, but with a surprise of some kind the muscle memory in the hand is likely to try for the 'old' lever position that would have corresponded to the correct amount of braking. Of course there'll be adjustment, but that split-second default thing is what I'm talking about. (And those who said 'practise' are probably exactly right)
  7. It's just like when you get on a new bike; it's different and you need to get used to it first before you take it on a serious ride :)