Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Adjusting the front brake sensitivity

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by banditbob, Mar 2, 2007.

1. My front brake doesnt seem to exhert as much stopping power as it used to.

I've fiddled round with the adjustments on the front brake lever to tighten the pressure but havent seen much change.

Anyone able to help me out?
  2. Get rid of air in brake fluid/braided lines
  3. +1 bleeding your brakes, check your brake pads.
  4. Gradual or sudden change??

• how long since the brake fluids were changed?
    • How much brake pad have you got left?
    • Is the brake hose old and cracked?
    • Did you let the reservoir go waaaay low before topping it up??
    • Are you a heavy braker - if not, the pad's may be glazed... so go and do some emergency braking.
  5. it was a preddy sudden change

So how do I know if my brake fluid needs replacing? And whats involved in that.

Brake pads are fine.
  6. Assume the brakes do need to be bled as you'll only notice an improvement from doing that. It's just a matter of getting some clear tubing that goes over the bleed nipple (or a speed-bleeder), an appropriate sized mini-spanner for opening and closing the bleed nipple, and a bottle of brake fluid.
    I'm sure someone will be able to point you to a 'how-to'.
  7. This one is good but DON'T have water in the bottle the old fluid empties into. Put a small amount of brake fluid in it.

If you use a 'one-man' bleeding device (under $10 from auto shop) you don't have to worry about this.

Another method is to simply attach a clear hose to the caliper, open it up, and let gravity slowly drain out the fluid. Keep the master cylinder topped up- you are aiming to have a 'column' of brake fluid in the system from master cylinder reservoir to caliper, with no air in the system.

Regardless of the method you use, before you finish close the bleed nipple and gently pump the brake lever: this will force air bubbles to the bleed nipple. Keep a little pressure on the brake lever and open the nipple again: the pressure in the system will help force out reluctant air bubbles.

Use a tin or jar with a good, wide base. The only 'difficult' thing about bleeding brakes, once you know what you're doing, is stopping the bloody jar from tipping over.

8. Sudden change suggests a failure of some kind... a seal let go, a diaphragm split, brake pad disintergration...???

Water or air in the brake fluid would have been noticable from some time back.

+1 Heinz, about keeping the flaming jar from falling over!!