Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Adjusting my chain?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by theeICEMAN, Jun 6, 2011.

1. So I got my chain and sprockets replaced today...

on the box packing of the chain, it says to adjust the chain the first 100km, since replacement...

what does it mean by adjusting? would I have to take the rear tyre off again?
  2. Got an owners manual for the bike?
  3. A new chain will "give" a little so it's advised after doing 100klms or so to tighten it up as per your owners manual specs - i.e. move the rear axle back slightly. You don't have to take the wheel off either. As Rob said, check the manual. Checking chain tension is a basic part of bike maintanence so get on it!

4. There usually is a little sticker on the chain guard too.
    If you don't have a manual then make Google your best friend and learn a bit of basic motorcycle maintenance before it ends up costing you a fortune.
  5. Don't leave chain maintenance to the scheduled service by the mechanic... unless you want them to replace the chain and sprockets every 2nd or 3rd scheduled service.
  6. If you can get your hands on a Haynes service & repair manual for your bike (GPX250?) it will probably end up saving you money in the long run. I got one for my bike and it's been worth every cent so far.