Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

adjusting mirrors

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by elefunksoup, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hi all, I have a question. I can't seem to get my left mirror down enough. It's a 'Bumm' (tee hee) brand mirror. I currently have to sit up a bit to look in the mirror which is hopeless. I've loosened the attachment bolt but that only lets you rotate the stalk, which doesn't help. Is it ok to just bend the stalk in a vice or something?

2. The mirror head should be able to be moved independently of the stalk. Grab it top and bottom and pull the top toward you (down) It may take a bit more force than you think it needs, hope this helps. Don't try to bend the stalk, you shouldn't need to and it might snap!!
  3. maybe rotate the mirror might allow it to pivot? just a thought
  4. Sometimes there is a tightening screw at the mirrror. If it is too tight it won't let the mirror move.
  5. Depends on the design of the mirror. I have universal ones that fit left or right (which i hate and am replacing) that adjust by rotating the stalk and lossening off a nut about 5 cm away from the head of the mirror. The head itself doesn't rotate in 3 dimensions like most do.
    If yours is similar then try loosening the nut near the top of the mirror.
  6. Thanks for the replies. Yep I've tried the pivot at the back of the mirror but it just doesn't let go far enough. Would be fine for a taller person! Will have a look for screws or nuts at back of mirror when I visit my bike next (long story - it's living with my dad at the moment). Cheers
  7. I had the same problem with my new mirrors. I ended up loosening the whole stalk area and rotating it all back a little. It means that the panel with my indicators, horn etc is now further back as well but I got used to that fairly quickly.
  8. OK found that there's a nut at the pivot point that can be losened to allow more pivot! Worked nicely. These little things may seem obvious to more experienced people, but every new thing I'm learning is a big deal to me. Glad to have this board to ask questions on.