Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Adjusting Gear Level

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by PranK, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Hi All,

I read something in another thread about adjustable gear levers, I was curious about adjusting mine.

I am a fairly big guy with big feet. When I am wearing my boots, a quick 'heel rotate and shift down' is absolutely not an option because the lever damn near pins my foot to the peg... What I want to do is move the lever further away from my foot so I have a little bit of room to move around down there. The brake side would be hand too, but its not used as much and its not as finicky.

The bike is a VTR250, any help would be great, thanks!

Christian

2. The gear lever is possibly a little "low" on the shaft to allow your foot enough clearance.

Undo and remove the bolt which holds on the lever. Slide the lever off and then rotate it one notch on the spline and see how that is.

If you have really big feet (size 12 or more) you might need to extend the lever - that requires a cut and weld job. I'd try adjusting the position first. ;-)

Cheers

Trevor G

PS Make sure you tighten the bolt properly when you replace the lever. Make sure before you tighten the lever that the bolt is sitting in the middle of the notch in the lever which prevents it falling off once the bolt is in.

3. Hey nice! I'll try rotating it, that will work well I think. Can this be done for the brake lever also?

And yeah, I have size 12 feet, so hopefully just rotating it will work.

Thanks very much!

4. Bloody Ripper! Thanks Paul! :beer:

5. small world christian...i cant imagine you riding a little 250 :LOL:

guess who :shock:

6. Dont do this to me.
    Erm... I have been looking at the name and the location for the last 10 mins and there are no bells going off. :(

7. its ok mate no need to fret. Its rowan

8. Ahh, hey mate. Its been a while. :)
    And yeah, I am a bit big on the 250, but its only temporary. :)