Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Adjusting front brake lever

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by RussellDP, Nov 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hi all,

I was having a fiddle around on the bike the other day, and having just replaced the brake fluid, I started looking at the front brake lever.

I am able to apply good pressure to pull up, at maximum force I still have some clearance between the lever and the grip, but it seems to have a lot of freeplay before it actally starts activating the brake itself.

Brake fluid is brand new, no air in the system and good "feel" but just a lot of slack.

So its possibly not a real worry, and as I don't have any adjustment on the lever itself, I am guessing there is not much I can do about it? Short of adjustable levers of course.

2. There should be a big knob where the cable enters the brake lever assembly that you can tighten to eliminate free play. There should be minimal free play in the front brake lever.

3. The mention of brake fluid suggests they are hydraulic, not cable operated brakes udluv2.

On hydraulic brakes here is often a wheel on the top of the brake lever at the hinge end with numbers on it - 1-4 or 1-5. It will often be hard or impossible to turn unless you push the lever away from the grip to release the pressure on the cam. It will make a difference to the distance the lever travels to apply braking force.

If your bike lacks this adjustment, it may be possible to buy adjustable levers if it is a popular model. Look into it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. There's always going to be a bit of free play. The free play allows the the lever to activate the brake light switch before actually applying the brake itself.

• Agree Agree x 1