Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Adjusting Chain - request for help

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by shaggy, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Hey,

Having just missed the Maintainence workshop run by PNUT I am not 100% sure how to adjust the chain on my Bandit :(

So I was wondering if anyone in the inner Melbourne area might be able to give me a hand to check it and show me how to adjust it?

I am pretty sure that it is currently too loose and could give it a shot myself but I don't want to stuff it up and cause any problems with the bike! :)

Also the bike is about to run out of the limited dealer warranty that I got with it and being an old bike (1990) I was hoping I could get an export eye to look it over for anything that I should get fixed by them before its too late for me to try and get them to fix it.

:grin: :grin:

Any help would be greatly appreciated and will repayed in the form of a six pack of your favourite brew.

Thanks,

Matt.

2. Matty

I'll take a look on carpark-night eh?

3. Thanks Loz!

Noticed your bike isn't parked here today. Not got any problems I hope.

:eek:

4. I'm in the same boat unfortunately. Anybody want to help? Even online directions would be appreciated.

5. Nah, just a bit crook and spending time in bed.

And with the amount of tissues that are piling up beside me, people are probably thinking I've either had a really bad day or a really good one...

6. It's not that difficult to do - should be covered by the owners manual. Bascially (for the Bandit at least) all it involves is to loosen the rear axle nut then turn the two hex-head screws on the back of the swingarm clockwise to move the wheel back. You usually only need to turn them a very small amount (about 1/8th of a turn) - use the guide marks on the swingarm to make sure the rear wheel is straight. When the chains at the right tension and you've double (or triple) checked the rear wheel is straight simply tighten up the axle nut and you're done.

7. How do you properly ensure your rear wheel is straight? Obviously your eyes play an important part, I just thought that something else might be employed?

8. Nope, as far as I know it's just down to lining up the marks on the swingarm by eye (why it's important to check it before tightening up the axle nut and after).

10. All bikes have some sort of gauge on both sides on the slider section that the main axle bolt goes through.

just make sure that the same number of marks line up on both sides before you retighten anything up ..... if in dought use a ruler and measure side to side from the same points .

Its not a hard job to do but fidley in that after getting the chain tension right if your measurement / marks are out you have to play around till there all lined up with the tension still right on the chain.

ps: dont forget to clean and lube the chain after adjusting :)

11. That's one of the problems with owning a grey import - there is no english manual available for my year model bandit :(

I was pretty sure that would be the way to adjust it but am concerned about overtightening or leaving it too loose and thought an experienced eye would be able to assist in the finer points of the adjustment.

:wink:

12. Use the manual for the Aus-delivered GSF250V instead, they're virtually the same bike (I use the GSF250V manual for working on the Kat - it's close enough).

13. Oh in that case does anyone have one of the Bandit 250V manuals that I could borrow to take a photocopy of? Or better yet a scanned version they could send me?

14. :) https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16177
    PM me an email address and I'll send you a scanned copy when I get home.

15. If you guy's get stuck chuck me a pm and i'll come out for a cruze.

I dont mind but it'll cost ya a coffee.

16. Ooops should have used the search feature first.

:oops:

PM sent thanks!

17. hrrm.

i adjusted my chain today. I turned the nuts exactly the same amount and the wheel looks straight, but the lines on the swingarm dont match...

I assumed they were a guide only and not a perfect tool for making sure the wheel was straight.

Called dad who confirmed my theory, dont know if he really knows or not though.

So basically i have put around 1000 km on the bike, no excess tyre wear, no weirdeness or anything, and it feels exactly the same as always after i have adjusted the chain.

BUT, could it still be wrong?

18. If in doubt use a ruler to measure from the axle to the rear of the swingarm - if there's a difference in distance between the two sides then it's not straight. The guides should be accurate unless something on the bike has been bent out of alignment.

19. The two methods i've heard of are:

* measure the distance between the axle and the swingarm pivot - should be same on both sides, or
    * stand the bike up straight, and run a long string around the front wheel and back along the length of the bike. As long as you hold it symmetrically, the rear wheel should be equidistant from the sides of the string, if it's straight.

i'd say the first method is the most accurate (and easiest)

Cheers,
    Phil

20. Well adge you did better than me. I popped into Autobarn to pickup a 22mm socket to be able to get the rear axle nut loosened and it was the only one they didn't have in stock.

So after dinner went out to bunnings and picked one up. Got home to realise that I don't have an adapter for a 1/2" drive. :(

So looks like I might get around to trying this tonight.