Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Adelaide to Perth

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Ed Chigliak, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Hi

We're (Wife and I on 1 bike) heading off from Adelaide to Perth, and back later this year. I'm just after some info for the trip.We've just moved here from the UK and did a load of touring over there. We toured around the UK, Europe and Africa too, so the basics of touring are covered.

We'll be camping most of the time, but probably treat ourselves to a night of comfort once each way.

Some things I need to know though please:-
    1. What's the best time of year to do this. We're hoping for late August or September. How cold does it get at night.
    2. I read an old discussion which said there are gaps up to 200k between petrol stops. Is this still the case (especially across the Nullarbor). And what sort of hours are they open.
    3. How regular are campsites. They seem to be quite regular on maps but you know how quickly these things get out of date.
    4. How long will it realistically take. We're looking at 3 weeks off work, giving us time to spare and some rest time in Perth too.
    5. Any specific tips for the Nullarbor.

Any info or advice welcome. Thanks.
  2. Given a bike that's not a Ural, Adelaide to Perth would be comfortable in 3 days and possible in two.

I did the trip in early July and found that temperatures were a bit chilly in the mornings, but, if you've toured and camped in the UK, you really won't have a problem.

200 kms between fuel stops is still the case. I'd be more comfortable with 400 kms range as there aqre no guarantees that every roadhouse will have petrol or won't have all its pumps out of order. A bike that will happily burn anything you can put in the tank would be nice, as you may not be able to get premium and you'll probably encounter weird ethanol blends too. Most of the roadhouses seem to do fuel 24 hrs, but, again, I dunno that I'd count on it.

On the Eyre Highway, don't piss anyone off or make any accquaintances you may regret 'cos you'll be seeing them at every campsite and roadhouse all the way to Norseman.

Try not to crash on the bits of road designated as RFDS runways. If you do, the plane won't be able to land to rescue you :wink:.

It'll be an experience for you. Good luck and enjoy yourselves.
  3. Ta for all the info guys.

Firetiger, seems like a good write-up. Sorry but not had time to read it all yet, but will do when i get a chance. I'll report back once I've done the run.
  4. Ed, I assume you're familiar with this website:

If not, I can recommend it. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law made extensive use of it to plan their bike trip across the Nullarbor.

PS: I live in Perth, so any questions about here, fire away ...
  5. Ed

Only one piece of advice.....don't wear your kilt on the bike....:bolt: