Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Adelaide hills "covert operations" by police

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Rokster, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Someone was busy this weekend...

NewsReport

Code:
    A COVERT police operation has caught motorists, including many motorcyclists, using a road in the Adelaide Hills as a race track.

Assistant Commissioner Grant Stevens has said 367 motorists were caught speeding along the Cudlee Creek Road last weekend.

Of those, 27 were classified as dangerous with a speed at least 45kph over the limit, with 19 of the 27 being motorcyclists.

A further 28 were high speed offences (30-45kph over the limit) and of those 18 were motorcyclists.

"We detected two motorcyclists on the Lobethal to Cudlee Creek Road on Saturday morning exceeding the speed limit by 78 and 72kph respectively," Mr Stevens has said.

"Another motorcyclist was detected twice on Sunday morning travelling around 60kph over the speed limit on both occasions."

Mr Stevens has said covert operations, with speed cameras concealed in various locations, will continue in the area.

There have been 197 serious injury and casualty crashes and seven deaths on roads in the area since 2001.

"A range of different methods will be used to conceal the cameras in these locations and severe penalties will apply for anyone detected using our roads as a race track," Mr Stevens has said.

"Police make no apologies for covert road safety operations involving concealed cameras in blackspot areas, because our aim is to take dangerous riders and drivers off our roads before they kill or maim someone."

Police have previously expressed concern at the number of motorcyclists killed on the state's roads - 19 have died so far this year, a 35 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2005.

2. 367 motorists speeding on one stretch of road in one weekend...

Clearly the limit is too low. Much of Gorge road is good for 100kmh. Setting the dam section at 80k is ridiculous and the coppers know it.

/thanking me lucky stars they weren't practicing the week we were there.

3. i got done 14kms over on the GOR as usual they were sitting on a blind bend at the bottom of the hill (just going out of angelsea) mind u this was at 11 o'clock at night.

4. imajo did u get done by a camera or laser gun?

5. Once, my friend got pulled over for 160 in a 80 zone...and got off with a warning.....and he was driving a Silvia....I bet I'll get done for 65 in a 60 zone or some bs haha

6. What a mob of underhanded killjoy MOTHER#?KERS, anything thats fun lets put a stop to it, cant let people have fun if its dangerous,shit no, see once again the wankers are trying to protest us from ourselves, these road are all now 60 or 80 kmph what a joke. drop the speed limits then raise some more revenue, F#?CKWITS

7. [SA]"Police Bust Street Drag Racers"

Just noticed this on news.com.au

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20562555-1702,00.html

This comment at the end stood out to me. "Police have previously expressed concern at the number of motorcyclists killed on the state's roads - 19 have died so far this year, a 35 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2005."

Due to the cost of fuel there are so many more bikes out there. The state government have already acknowledged this by increasing fees for rider safe "due to the increase in demand". Inevitably there will be more motorcycle related injuries/fatalities if there are more and more riders out there.

Also the comments about concealed cameras. WTF??? If they were serious about saving lives on these roads, an increase in police presence would work much better than concealed cameras. How much longer is the government going to hide behind the old 'we are trying to save lives' bullshit as a way of increasing revenue :evil:

8. I wonder how long before this happens in the spurs,cameras covered with tree branches, I wonder if those dudes have a permit to damage local flora :shock:

9. That is a tonne of fines to be issued... imagine if you were a crooked cop. You could retire on one weekend. :grin:

10. i really want to cause physical harm to these bastards.......hiding little mongrels.

on the flip-side, if you dont speed you dont get caught :?

11. Plenty of pics of the mentioned cameras

here.

12. Well, I haven't received anything as yet, so I think I'm safe.

I was in one of the photos behind a car riding a mates MV, they were talking about cars speeding at that point apparently :D

13. You know it doesnt surprise me what these natzis get up to. All i can say is be very careful out there. They are everywhere.. :evil:

14. i dont think they will issue that many fines that quick. lets all hope none of us that were up that road will get a fine.

15. adelaide hills "covert operations"

anyone get sprung? :D

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,20562555-1702,00.html

A COVERT police operation has caught motorists, including many motorcyclists, using a road in the Adelaide Hills as a race track.

Assistant Commissioner Grant Stevens has said 367 motorists were caught speeding along the Cudlee Creek Road last weekend.

Of those, 27 were classified as dangerous with a speed at least 45kph over the limit, with 19 of the 27 being motorcyclists.

A further 28 were high speed offences (30-45kph over the limit) and of those 18 were motorcyclists.

"We detected two motorcyclists on the Lobethal to Cudlee Creek Road on Saturday morning exceeding the speed limit by 78 and 72kph respectively," Mr Stevens has said.

"Another motorcyclist was detected twice on Sunday morning travelling around 60kph over the speed limit on both occasions."

16. The road is not a race track - we all know that speeding is illegal, so if you get caught having a fang then its your own stupid fault. Yes I have done it too, but now with all the local drifter types - and those who couldnt drive their own fingers up their arse - getting about, the only safe place is either in bed or at a real race track. You know it make sense. Plus, I'm tired of my insurance premiums going up all the time, as a result of some git trying to race on the roads and making a cadaver of themselves. Here endeth the lesson.

17. These speed cameras will theoretically save peoples lives, because many of them will lose their licence, without a licence they cant speed up the Gorge, and if they cant speed up the Gorge, they cant crash and die.

I hope all you forumers that are complaining get massive fines and lose you licences, sounds like you deserve it.

18. 7TH is just angry cos he cant ride his bike on the street :grin:

I think its disgusting that the cops are hiding cameras and targeting bikes. However, i dont even know where this gorge is nor how many bikers have had accidents on it.

19. 367 motorists caught and 27 of them bikers ?????
    maybe all the motorists should lose their licences too 7thsin,,,, the point is not the fact that if you speed you pay,thats ok,,, but to hide the cameras do no good cos it takes prob 2 weeks to get the fine through the post,but in the meantime them that were caught have had plenty more time to kill themselves,wouldnt it be more of a deterrant to see the police or the cameras on the day so you would be wary of being caught,I know i would,
    no wonder they have no respect from the public for the way they are used.