Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Adding a switch to turn off hardwired headlights

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Vertical C, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Hey All

Think I know the answer to this, but will I be defected if I add a switch to allow me to turn off a headlight that is hardwired on.

I know that the ADR has been repealed but I don't know if the old one still applies as that is what the bike was complied under.

I want to do it so that I can ride without having to power the headlight.
  2. I don't see why you'd be defected for adding a switch to turn a hardwired headlight off when some new bikes have a switch to turn the head light off as standard, my brand new sachs had 3 switch positions, off, dimmed and low beam, plus the high beam.
  3. The get out here in WA is that you can comply with the ADR in force at time of manufacture or a later one.

Assuming NSW has something similar, you should be fine.

4. A couple of us have had a look at this in the past. We couldn't find anywhere in the ADR's that stipulates the head light must remain either hard wired or turned on. Effectively meaning it doesn't appear anywhere in the legislation that it's illegal to run an inline switch and over ride them.

To add weight to the point, I saw a Chinese import (125pos) today that comes with a light on/off switch. A vehicle has to achieve one of two things to be registered in Australia. It either has to meet ADR compliance or receive an exemption for any variance. The chances are low that a chinese import has exemptions from ADR's.

The bottom line. Most coppers wouldn't know their bums from their badges when it comes to ADR's. You can expect to find one that will believe you're breaking the law. If this happens it will be up to you to lawyer up and defend yourself in court.

Justus isn't around otherwise we could send him on a wild goose chase to see if he can find a precedent for us. I'm very very interested to have a legal ruling and a judge have the final say on the matter.
  5. My understanding that it was in the ADR from about 1990 to 1996 but then it was repealed after lobbying from the MRA. Manufacturers still do it because it is a requirement in other jurisdictions and they can't be bothered retooling for Oz. Sachs doesn't because they don't sell in those jurisdictions.

I want to do it to the RGV which is a 93 model so was complianced when it was in force.

You might be right, I will probably just get hassled for it no matter what the law says. Even if I fought it, it wouldn't become a precedent unless the RTA appealed as it would be heard in local court only. Needs to be in a higher court to get precedence when taken to a lower court. And of course even if I got a precedent it wouldn't help you guys in other states.

It might be one of these you might get away with it but its a lot of pain for little gain. I might put it in the too hard basket.

Thanks all
  6. the hyos have an on/off switch, but it has a permanent running light - one way to get around it?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Actually thats a good idea. Just the "parker" light. Would avoid most of the cops. Will check if the RGV has one.
  8. I'll tell ya a funny story about that. I met a rider who had a copper try to do him for having a headlight out on his bike. One side is for low beam and the other is for high beam. Took some convincing that is was actually a feature and not unroadworthy after all.
  9. #9 smileedude, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Whats the procedure for getting booked without a headlight? I road around for afew nights thinking why is my light so dull? till I realised it was just the 2 park lights working. The high beam worked which led me to believe the low beam must be on, because I was an idiot. I even road through an rbt with it out at 1 in the morning in the cross and wasn't stopped. But if you do get pulled over can you claim it must have just gone out? It would be a bit unfair to blow a bulb and get booked around the corner.
  10. wouldn't take much more effort than wiring in a switch to install a permanent running light if you really wanted to do it
  11. You can claim whatever you want Smilee. But keep in mind this, all the coppers have heard all of the stories, both real and imagined. So whether you get pinged for it will be at the officer's discretion (mood).
  12. #12 665, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    You can't get booked for something that doesn't work. ie if your headlight doesn't work you can't get done for Fail to have lights on. But you will get done for driving a vehicle that doesn't comply with the standards of registration and a defect notice.

You can claim it but what happens next is anybodies guess.

Unfair? Take it to the extreme it would be unfair if you went around said corner with no light and a cage hit you.
  13. More just curious than debating fair vs unfair. A bike is different, you only have 1 and if it goes out you should notice, and should probably get off the bike and come back and pick it up during the day. But say your driving a cage and one headlight goes out. Not many people would notice this instantly. Most probably wouldn't notice it for quite a few trips. Do you get booked for this, or are you issued with a defective vehicle notice and only given a fine if you get caught driving it again? Or are you expected to replace bulbs that are not burnt out every Xkms to avoid the possibility of one going out when driving?
  14. having a switch that turns all the lights off is handy if you have to become 'unseen' for any reason....