Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[ACT] Crash - Rear Ended - What to do now?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by frankiel, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker (this website has saved me loads, especially when I lived in Melb and the redwing after hours sale/s!)

Anyway, was at a red light stationary and a P plater missed the braking point completely and knocked me off my bike. Bike has some major damage, i'm very lucky to be ok (could have quite easily been knocked into incoming traffic for example), just whiplash and muscle stiffness.

We both have 3rd party property insurance. My insurer won't help me chase his insurer so I have to do it myself. However, the guy has lodged a claim with his own insurer and has given me the claim number and I have been told that the insurer will contact me within the next 1-2 weeks to discuss/advise.

Is this correct? Is there anything else I need to do? Should I just wait for the call? Should I go get quotes and letter of demand or is this unnecessary as he lodged a claim?

It only happened a few days ago but its very frustrating as the bike was my only means of transport and now I am stuck having to work like 30 minutes to get public transport to go to work.
  2. neverevaeva sit around waiting with companies.

If you have a claim number then you should chase it up, im sure youll get blown off but keep ringing.
  3. yarr, forgot to mention, i called them twice today asking to be informed of the process that would be involved, both times brushed off and told to wait for a call from them

will continue the battle!
  4. Get quotes, get yourself checked out, make lists
  5. +1. Insurance companies use any excuse to delay/draw out the process. Make sure you're ready when the call comes. Get some quotes done on the bike and any damaged gear etc.

Good luck!
  6. going through something similar with my wife's bike but damage is far less. once we had the claim number took it to the local bike shop and they say they will deal with the insurance company etc.