Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Across - stalling problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Guest, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Hi

When I was doing my licence test on Sunday, my bike stalled with every emergency stop I did and yes, I did have the clutch in. On the way home, I had to do a sudden stop and again my bike stalled. Has anyone got any ideas what my problem might be???

:D :D
  2. sounds like it is idleing to low lids
    black knob on the left hand fairing
    increase your idle to around 1500 rpm
    the across needs to idle a little higher than others
    from memory and i could be wroong , but i think i am right between 1300-1500 rpm the service manual says .
  3. Suzuki Across! :D :D :D :D
  4. Maybe the clutch cable needs adjusting. Might not be fully disengaging.
  5. Mine does that too sometimes, Lids - particularly after coming to a brisk halt.

But it doesn't always do it, and it doesn't feel like it's just the idle speed being too low. 99% of the time, the bike idles nicely at around 1500 rpm and behaves itself.

And although the clutch on my bike has a fairly short and sudden action, I don't think it's the reason for this behaviour.

[Secret Across-owner's business] I might post a query over at twincam.org and see if anyone's got any ideas. [/Secret Across-owner's business]
  6. Wind your idle up in cooler months about 200 rpm.
  7. Here's a reply from the twincam.org Across site:

"Its a common problem, the float levels need re setting. If they get too high fuel forces its way up the air bleeds under heavy braking and will flood the motor."
  8. Also... young Grommit and Lids, I've just found out from personal experience, carbies that need a balance may be the culprit.

If your gunna take the carbies off to clean and adjust the float level then you might need to re-balance the carbies anyway. If you havent got access to a manometer (4 carbie type) you'll need to get a mechanic to do it.