Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

across not firing

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jallopi, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Hi,

I've had a weird occurence with my 97 suzuki across. After not riding for about four days and a half day's heavy rain (ungaraged), I went to start my bike with no response. All the standard stuff was in check (neutral gear, kill switch correct). Battery is fully charged, tank has plenty of fuel. It appears to be a problem with the starter switch... however I've been unable to roll start it. Could it be a mechanical problem, such as the sparkies, or should I stick to investigating the electrical system?

2. sounds to me like there may be water in the electrical system shorting out the battery, can you take off the seat and put a multi-meter on the two terminals?
  3. I could try it... but my gear and fuel lights are all working fine, I would have thought that if the battery was shorting then there would be no power at all...

I'll wait for a reply, need to get my hands on a multimeter anyhow. Thanks.
  4. They only draw a tiny amount of current; your starter takes every bit the battery can give.

See, back in my day, we had kick starters, blah, blah :roll: :LOL:.
  5. Ah k, I'll try and hunt down a multimeter in the morning and have a look at it, thanks for the tip. Let you know how I go.
  6. Its a sad day when an Across won't start :(
    Anyway, my guess is the sparkplugs...
    which are a pain in the butt to change on an Across cause there is hardly any room to move
  7. starter motor could be wet,

lift the dummy tank up and spray everything with wd40 or nulon start_ya-bastard