Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Across gear shift adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Tail end charlie, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Hi, post number 2.
    I am a newie to bikes, wondering if anyone knows how best to adjust the length of the gear change rod.

I have often selected false neutral when changing gears. I reversed the weel worn rubber which improved things a lot.

A mate suggested i adjust the connecting rod, as it is sdjusted to its shortest length. When i tried this, there is no "spanner spot" to grip the rod, and a gentle twist in both directions with vice grips did nothing - i don't want to break things. The "ball joint" ends don't appear to want to com off either, so i am a bit stuck.
    Thanks

2. Chuck,
    the adjuster rod should have a right hand thread on one end and a left hand thread on the other. The left hand threaded locknut will probably have a line machined across the apexes of the nut to identify it.
    Loosen both ends and you should be able to adjust the rod with your fingers, then nip the lock nuts back up.

3. Thanks,
    I had a play and found that there were lock nuts. The ends were done up so far they were had to see. Easily done, much better now.