Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

across colour code

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by ekat90, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Anyone Here ride a gsx250f across? I ride a red one and I've read That the colour code should be under the seat all there is is a noise compliance so if anyone could please tell me the colour code for red on the across I'd appreciate it thanks.

2. If it's a grey import Across then more than likely the paint on it isn't the same as what it left the factory with.

If it's not a grey import, then you still face the problem that the Suzuki paint codes only make sense to Suzuki - who never release the details of their paint to anyone. So you're then stuck with either buying your paint through a Suzuki dealer, or finding someone who can mix something up that's a close enough match (assuming of course the paint hasn't substantially faded from when it was new).

Are you just trying to fix a small scratch or something more substantial?
  3. I have paint chips that need touching up. I have no idea if it is a grey import or not. How can I find out? That means I have to live with it I guess :(

Also got another question is 12.5 : 1 considered high compression ? I've been told to not use 98 as it blocks plugs or something like that.
  4. Somewhere attached to the frame will be a compliance plate with the name of the importer. If it says Suzuki it's an Australian model, if it says something else (like Otobai) then it's a grey. For small paint chips you should be able to get away with just finding a car that's as close as possible in colour and getting touch up paint for that. It's what I did when I had to fix a scratch in the paint on my old Katana (think it was a Holden aluminium silver which matched perfectly).

12.5:1 is high compression for a car, and would typically require 98 octane - however a 250cc bike engine is very different. An Across should run just fine on standard 91, the danger with using 98 is that it's denser.

Bike carbs work on a fixed volume of fuel, so denser fuel means a richer mix - which leads to plugs covered in black soot from unburnt fuel. You can of course retune the engine to run on 98 - but then you can't use 91 without risk of the engine running lean and burning a hole in one of the pistons.
  5. Run 91 on the Across. 98 seems to run rough and as I found out, fouls the plugs in the process. 95 is okay, but I'd still just pay for cheaper fuel to run the bike. Compression of 12.5:1 is normal for the Across.

Sorry can't be off much help with the colour code.