Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Acetone in fuel to increase milage

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by OC1, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Acetone is good as an octane booster so I have heard, BUT it shags rubber hoses like the ones your fuel is.
  2. No...but it sounds plausable. I'm not sure I want to experiment with an $18k bike though.
  3. so rough calculations... 15ml per tank full?? to get up to %35 more distance... could be on to something there...
  4. My GPX with a 500km tank... like that idea. :LOL:
  5. Toluene (or Methylbenzene) is much more effective as an octane booster and was widely used in the days of turbocharged Formula 1 cars. The only real downside however is the fact that it is highly carcinogenic and know to cause birth defects. Acetone is reputed to improve mileage but the effects of long term exposure are still uncertain (probably not good), could be okay if added commercially to fuel - best not to play chemist in the backyard though unless you really know what you're doing.
  6. Nail polish remover???

I hear petrol is for more carcengenic than acetone due to some nasty additives......

Looking around on the net the effect in testing is a 10% increase in distance, but heavily dependant on the type of engine.
  7. Yes acetone is in nail polish remover but it can also be bought on its own. It's the benzene in petrol that is carcinogenic and whilst there is no evidence of acetone causing cancer in humans, long term exposure in lab rats is carcinogenic. The 10% increase in mileage seems feasible given that it is an octane booster but you would have to weight that up against the cost of the acetone and the fact that you would probably have to replace all the fuel lines since acetone attacks most rubber.
  8. Doesn't acetone make you go insane (ala Mad Hatters?) if you are around it too long?
  9. The "Mad Hatter" was representative of mercury poisoning - the result of using mercury salts in felt helts. The only known health effects of acetone exposure are liver and kidney damage (effects are greater if you happen to drink alcohol regularly). Breathing the fumes from acetone will also cause nose and throat irritation, skin exposure can cause dermatitis.