Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Accountant needed

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jackarau, May 6, 2005.

  1. Any accountants there?
    I have been told that I cannot claim vehicle allowance for a bike
    Is that true? I only have the bike and I travel a lot of km.
    This year though, would be the first time that I would try to get some tax relief.
    Thank you

  2. Ok, I just asked my girlyfriend for ya.

    Travel expenses

    These records may include:

    a travel diary, that is, a document which shows the dates, places, times and duration of your activities and travel
    written evidence of your travel expenses, such as receipts, invoices and travel allowance details
    award transport payments. If you claim up to the value of the award that was in force on 29 October 1986, no written evidence is required. If you choose to claim more than this amount, written evidence is required for the whole of the amount claimed
    receipts for actual costs incurred for using a car owned or leased by someone else. For example, petrol and oil
    receipts or other documents showing the amount and date of the expenditure in relation to vehicles other than cars, such as motor cycles, utilities or panel vans with a carrying capacity of one tonne or more, or any other vehicle with a carrying capacity of 9 or more passengers, and
    receipts or other documents (diary entries) for air, bus, train, tram and taxi fares, bridge and road tolls, parking and car hire fees.

  3. NovaCoder, this is a great link!
    Awesome, thank you very much!
    Is your girlfriend an accountant by any chance?
    Great link anyway, thanks again
  4. Seems to me an accountant would need more info as if you use the bike to travel from home to work & back as an employee boing! it's tuff luck if you run your own business then some or all of above may apply depending on circumstances! My accountant is in Cranbourne, knows nothing about bikes but everything about tax & tax laws pm me if ya want his name & number!
  5. well you must have done all those K's in your dirty great big V8 kingswood before selling it :wink:
  6. Oh no!, it actually was a FIAT 500 !!!!
  7. if the kms are done in the course of business, you can claim back the tax on any of the expenses. doesnt include getting to work and back.

    if you're doing the work under an ABN you might want to do the profit & loss statement method on the tax return - can claim back all kinds of stuff that way
  8. My job is Trainer and Assessor.
    Going to work???what does it means in my case?.
    Yes I work through my ABN.
    Yes Bond Girl, I will pm ypu, thank you for the offer
  9. A good accountant joke

    Not strictly on the subject I know, but too good an opportunity to pass up. This was told to me by an accountant which proves something, though I'm not sure what.

    Two impecunious young students were studying for their accountancy degrees. One day one of them turns up to college on a beautiful and obviously very expensive push bike.

    The other student says, "Hey, nice wheels, how come you were able to afford that?"

    The other students says, "Well, it was really strange actually. I was waiting at the bus stop when this gorgeous girl rides up on this amazing push bike. She stops at the stop, puts the bike down and takes off all her clothes. Then she says to me, 'Take whatever you like.'"

    "So," the student said, "I thought about it for a minute and I took the push bike."

    "Good choice," said the other student, "The clothes probably wouldn't have fitted you."