Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Accidents

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Soozana, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Lol, this question is a bit doom and gloomy, so sorry in advance!....but i'd like to know! :)

Q: When most of you guys were learners/learning to ride on the roads, which were the most common mistakes that led to near accidents and/or accidents on the roads?

I see a lot of things, but, it's the things i don't see that concern me the most. They have a brilliant ability to come up to you and bite you on the bum when u least expect anything to.

-Sooz.

2. For me it was the instinct to grab the brakes and try to stop in time when i could have actually easily avioded the incident if i had kept off the brakes and swerved instead, Was just too inexperienced to think clearly in an emergency situation.

3. Underestimating the stupidity of others. This in fact led to an accident and my knee still reminds me of it from time to time. That and going too fast for the situation especially when I couldn't see around the bend. I came to road riding from 20 yrs on trail bikes so I was in the bad habit of hitting the throttle without thinking first. I've learnt a few lessons the hard way and ride very differently now. :)

When you say the things you don't see concern you most, you are spot on the mark. The things we expect, we can control and adjust for. The trick is to leave a little extra up your sleeve to deal with the unexpected. Lets face it, no-one ever explains a stack by saying "I knew the car would come wide around the bend into my lane, so I held my line and ran into it head on." :grin:

4. There a few things, but spotty wet patches wet/black ice patches on forest/quiet roads was a biggie for me!

Nothing like experience to improve your abilities - in all weather conditions and road surfaces, and as long as you learn something from all your experiences, then it's worthwhile.

5. True. EZYRYDER, other than saying "very carefully" ;) what's the best way to handlle a sportsbike in wet/slick road conditions? I guess it would depend on personal style and bike??? Or is there a standard response???

6. Double your gap and touch everything (trottle, brakes, bars) softly. :wink:

Also remember that with a rain soacked visor, your vision is obscured so you need to head check carefully and expect to be buzzed by cars you didn't see occaisionaly. Of course, if you head check carefuly enough this shouldn't happen.

The other point worth mentioning is not to bite off more than you can chew. Practice in the rain is great, but if it gets too heavy to see or you start to get shit scared and stiffen up, there's no shame in pulling over and waiting for it to pass. A big downpour never lasts long before it lightens off. With practice, the heavier rain will be less intimidating.

Lastly, rain often comes with strong wind. Be aware of it and don't panic if it blows you sideways. Stay relaxed and loose, that way you'll be more gentle with it. :)

7. Dunno - wait for a post from a sportboik rider :)

Shouldn't matter if you have 5hp or 150 hp between ya legs, I woulda thought... The answer - well sensible ones hehehe - are likely to be similar.

8. There's no easy way to explain it... other than that in normal conditions your aiming for a smooth and progressive riding style; in bad conditions you need to be even smoother and more progressive.

The best example i can give is that if you grab the brakes in the dry you might lock up the front wheel and chirp it slightly. If you grab the front brakes in the wet you'll likely be on your ass watching your bike slide away from you.

Smooth controlled and flowing riding style is what your aiming for. No sudden actions as they'll unsettle the bike and/or cause you to lose traction.

9. hi sooz, my answer is expect everything and thank your gods if it don't happen...well you started the doom and gloom thingy.

realistically, i just expect everyone else to dumbar$e things...as theories go its probably not the most sexiest but it keeps me shiny side up and thats important to me..and the monster..

10. Bren, how does your Ducati(?) handle? Reason I ask is that I've really only considered a Honda myself.

11. hehe, how does a ducati handle....well...

As expected of a highly engineered italian built motorcycle it is is gentle and quiet.....NOT!!!!

Old ladies in Camrys shudder as i lane split...

Children clutch their mother skirts as i approach school crossings...

Office workers seek refuge in the entrances to their sky scrapers as i loom over their horizon...

Pedestrians seek shelter in public toilets...

Cattle and sheep load themselves voluntarilly onto trucks destined to the 'works' as i tear up country roads...

Air traffic controllers reach for the 'red' phone when ever i need long term parking at airport...

George Bush calls John Howard when i tour ..might 'interfer' with Pine Gap apparently....

No, really....well actually the above is pretty close, lol

12. She asked how it handled, not for a bleedin' love song :)

I know of two others who have Monsters - one a 600, the other a 750 - both love 'em.

13. LMAO!! Guys, thanks :)
    I just really want to learn as much as i can ASAP.
    I'll think twice before askindg bren anything about his bike in the future ;)

Hey, riding in freeways and such, would u consider it more dangerous, in terms of high speeds and crazy cagers, than suburb and city riding?

14. ok ducati aside (harder to say than you may realise)

essentially there isn't much about riding a motorcycle which isn't 'dangerous' - it is up to you how dangerous you wanna be....

if or when you have a bike, hook up with some sensible types and tag along, take it easy, keep your eyes open and really analyse why other riders do stuff, you will find it isn't arbitrary behaviour.

Safe riding to you, and remember...when you hear the hooves of the seven horsemen of the apocalypse coming.....most likely its just two ducati's!

15. You're more likely to crash in town, but more likely to die on the highway. Take your pick. :wink:

16. oops - sprung, we are an incorrigible lot!