Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Accidently put ethanol blended fuel in the GPX

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by murphy0987, Jan 6, 2008.

1. I usually put BP ultimate in my GPX, however today there wasnt a BP close by so i decided to fill up at United using their Boost 98. Now after filling it up i noticed the little sticker on the pump saying it is an ethanol blended fuel. I have only really read bad reviews about ethanol. Is this going to hurt my bike, even only one tank? Or am i being paranoid? Any advice would be great.

2. i reckon you are being paranoid. ethanol in fuel is a bit like the y2k bug IMO.
    have a read through some of the MSDSs for different branded fuels, there are heaps of additives, including benzines, even in regular petrol.
    you could always drain it if it concerns you though :)
  3. Don't sweat it. Ride for a bit and fill it up with the petrol u want to use. Or as Joel said, empty it out or whatever. It's not gonna blow it up.

And welcome to NR too.
  4. If your bike was made in the last 10 years it will be fine, and for my childrens sake, you might think of using it all the time :grin:

The only real problem seems to be that older rubber hoses and seals didn't like it, but any newer rubber will be fine...

Many countries only have Ethanol blended fuel (such as Spain). The only reason manufacturers say not to use it, is because they don't want to go to the expense of doing the same endurance testing that they do with regular gas in order to be sure there will be no problem...

I would say that the only real difference is that it is likely to be 96 Octane (although they call it 95) instead of 98 (BP Ultimate)...

5. meh, smoke and mirrors, I've been running the Hornet on ethanol blend for the last nearly three years, and it's done and doing no harm at all (apart from the fact that I've grown an extra ear and I have been howling at the ful moon lately :wink:).
  6. :rofl:
  7. Don't stress to much, just pay attention to how the bike's running. If it starts getting really rough, drain it out and fill it with normal 91RON.

Cars sold in countries with high-ethanol content fuel are modified to suit it.
  8. The problem only appears to be to do with certain rubber-type components, fuel lines, seals, o-rings and so on.

Other, knowledgeable car forums suggest that all vehicles sold since the early 90s have components resistant to ethanol. In other words, no problems for quite some years.

Trevor G
  9. Mate you'll be fine, one tank won't do much unless you leave it in there too long. I'd just thrash the crap out of it until its empty, then fill with some nice bp 98 as reward, just don't put in ethanol again ;)
  10. It's a personal thing.

I've been running plus from united in my 1988 FZR1000 and a
    1984 Jaguar sovereign since it became available with no ill effect to either of them. (Yet)

Bottom line is, if you're not happy with it don't use it.
  11. Hit the nail on the head i think mate. Besides its only a 10% blend or something like that. These other countries are running 80,90 even 100% ethanol. Its not till you get to the higher percentages that it effects engine hardware.
  12. e10 is actually a good cleaning fuel. a tank occasionally is actually a good thing.

as to ethanol in general, there was a study 10 years ago that basically concluded that up to 30% did no harm to even standard cars.

so the debate about whether e10 does any harm is just rubbish. Car makers take the negative because it suits them with regards to warranties.
  13. Not sure if this is E10 related but I had my bike sitting for a few days after filling up wit this and it ran rough, wouldnt free rev over 4k, (like it was leaning or similar to a holley power valve being stuck closed). The bike then stalled up the road and wouldnt restart even after a fair bit of cranking. I rolled id down the road and jumped it in second gear.. after that it ran fine.

So im not sure if the fuel in the float bowls absorbed water (alcohol is hyroscopic) it has been very humid in brisbane lately.
  14. Bit of metho spirits (half a cup) will clean out the water, just add to tank and off you go. Otherwise check the plugs.
  15. I have heard the metho thing before, to absorb water - but was wondering if the alcohol in the fuel may have absorbed it itself.. I suppose the percentage would have been quite low so probably not.

Just odd that its done this after I put ethanol fuel in it.. Maybe the cleaning effect of it (if correct) has dislodged something.
  16. It helps you see under water?

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

and yes that may have been the problem, but only because it was sitting around in the servo tank for too long. Though t he fact it cleared up idicates it is unlikely to be the problem.

17. Hygroscopic!!

I always thought it was spelt 'HyDroscopic' but I borked the spelling in my original post.
  18. nah dude, hydrophilic.

hygroscopic is more to do with the ability to draw moisture, eg sugar products will draw moisture from the air, and become gooey.

hydrophilic is the ability to mix easily with, or the technical version, to have an affinity with water. eg, the water will dissolve in to the alcohol, rather than sit on top, to become more homogeneous. as opposed to actually drawing/attracting it.
  19. I meant hydgroscopic as I thought the ethanol fuel may have drawn moisture from the humid air weve had up here lately.

I can see how hydrophillic fits when talking of pouring metho in with the fuel.