Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Accident repair advice

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by koma, Sep 11, 2006.

1. So there i was... having a decent day and going to inspect another house just off Brunswick St when i was waiting to turn right behind some mid-80's shitbox and the 'tard decides to go forwards about a foot, then reverse up! I was sitting about a metre behind where she decided to stop and drop it into reverse but didn't have the time to get out of the way.

The result was her knocking the bike over sideways (weird angle she reversed at), smashing my front left indicator and scuffing up the front panel around it. Anyway, bike knocked over on its right hand side leaving me with my ankle trapped underneath and my pillion (my girlfriend) lying on the road with a sore bum and shoulder. I eventually got my ankle out from underneath when my girlfriend realised it was trapped and started shouting at the driver and passenger standing in the road.

The aftermath; spent the afternoon going to the docs & then the Royal Melb for some x-rays which thankfully turned out clean. The damage to the bike is what im concerned about now...
    - LHS front indicator smashed (original '92 FZR part)
    - RHS front indicator scuffed up plastic rear (again... original)
    Intending to replace both with aftermarket
    - RHS bar end scuffed and messed up
    Will see if it can be sanded and repainted, otherwise replace.
    - Exhaust can with nice large dent and deep scratches
    Anyone know who can repair an already repaired stainless steel exhaust can? It's a custom jobby so probably not easy to repair.
    - LHS fairing scuffed and paint exhanged
    - RHS fairing scuffed and scratched from hitting ground
    - Helmet scuffed and scratched on back & rear RHS (must've hit the ground)
    Anyone know where i stand on this one? It's my beloved Shoei so i don't like the fact its now damaged and maybe compromised.

So after coming to terms with the pain and getting the bike home that's the list as it stands. I haven't even removed the fairings yet but i'm not expecting to find anything else damaged. I managed to ride it home from the incident without any mechanical gremlins so all should be ok.

So... what do i do? We exchanged details... and said i'll contact her when i find out how much the repair bill is going to be. So do i go and get a few quotes? I've been told that to quote on repairs is $50-60 if i don't take the work there; is this normal?
    Any advice or words of wisdom?[/i]
  2. On the helmet, I think the law requires no damage. It's integrety is more than likely compramised but what are the chances of banging it twice on the same spot?

The stainless exaust, it's likely it's repairable but,,,,,
    Labour cost are high and repairs are fidelly, especially to get it back to looking like new.

A cheap solution would be to get a peice of stainless sheet fashioned into a decent looking "heat guard" and use that to cover up any damage.

Kitchen sink manafactures do extensive stainless fabricteing/welding/polishing and may be able to help but,,,,,

If the other driver is at fault, why arn't you just getting new everything and hitting them with the bill?

edit~ quote on repairs, WTF? Maybe I've been out of the game to long but it wouldn't suprise me. I'd say thier busy and don't want your buisness.
  3. Ok ,legally you are entitled to have your bike restored ,and all damaged goods, to proir accident condition,with regards to clothiing,helmets,protective gear due to liablity laws they have to be replaced not repaired.the insurance company may try to take your gear ifthey pay you out,gaain they have no right to do this ,their obligation is to compensate you for your loss.if you choose to repair your bike yourself or not replace gear the resposibility then is yours .As a third party the ball is entirley in your court ,right down to replacement bike if neccessary.Feel free to contact me direct if you would like any help in this matter as i have access to and use recovery agents on a regular basis .If she has no insurance then it will be more difficult but firtsly get a quote for repairs ,yamaha city ,action mcyles,or any bike repeairer should be able to help ,,,but do not be pushed around by insurance company who responsible as from past experience they will try to screw you