Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Accident and insurance problem [NSW]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by george_syd, Sep 1, 2009.

  1. Hey guys,

    I have a bit of a problem and not sure what to do. I was involved in an accident on a double lane round. A car on the inside lane entered my lane and hit the front of my bike.

    I fell straight down but luckily sustained no road rash, probably due to the low speed i was traveling at. I did sustain a bruised ankle, so I have definitely learned to wear protection no matter how short the trip.

    The whole right side of my bike is scratched. This is where I have a problem, I only have third party property damage insurance, and the person who hit me said that there is no damage to her vehicle so she is not putting in a claim. I did make an incident report to the police, but I am not sure how the whole process works or what can I do?

    I tried speaking to the persons insurance company, however they did not want to speak with me and told me to get the driver to lodge a claim - something she has not done even though I asked her to.

    I have no idea what to do now, any advice will be appreciated.

  2. I've moved your post into the cprrect forum and adde the State for which the legal requirements you are looking for.
    Please acquaint yourself to the terms and conditions and introduce yourself in the welcome lounge.
    Enjoy your stay :)
  3. Send her a letter of demand. There are some templates at the top of this section that you can use.
  4. Take the bike to a respectable motorcycle repairer and get them to print out a quote on the full repair of the motorcycle. If the motorcycle is an obscure model, this may take a couple days as they will have to price parts. Go to a motorcycle gear shop and get them to print out a quote on the full replacement of any gear that was damaged in the slide. Go to the doctor and get him/her to inspect your ankle, just to be sure. Get a printout of the consultation including cost.

    Then, draft a letter of demand as Dougz said, including a demand for the full reimbursement of all the above amounts. The sheila can send this to her insurance company, and hopefully you'll receive a cheque in the mail a few weeks later.

    If you get no reply or they stonewall, you will have to contact a solicitor. I wouldn't have any hesitation in doing this, because (1) the solicitor can send a second and final letter of demand on their firm's letterhead, which does wonders; and (2) the insurance company will pay up rather than go to court, and you will be able to claim the full cost of hiring your solicitor in addition to the above amounts.

    Good luck, and don't fret, your clearly in the right, and it's only a matter of how much messing around you need to do in order to recover the necessary money. ;)
  5. contact your insurance and tell them what happened,

    they should get the ball rolling for you
  6. Thanks heaps guys, really grateful for your responses!

    I will write a letter of demand and let you know how I go :)
  7. There are template letters in a sticky here.