Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Accessories: cheaper to buy in the USA?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by moy71, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Hi all. I have the opportunity to go to California in November and was wondering if there are any gadgets/gear/apparel that are cheaper to buy over there compared to buying locally?

Many thanks

2. I think you will find most things cheaper especially given the strong AUD at the moment, quite often accessories are cheaper from the US even with postage to here!

So, the big question is .... are you taking orders?? :)
  3. I envy you. My family and I lived in the US for a while, and I traveled there for work heaps until a few years ago, and among other things we really miss the shopping!!

I wasn't into bikes back then though so cant comment on that, but clothes and shoes in general were a lot cheaper for quality items!

Just remember that although the same helmets can be had over there for about half our prices you cannot legally use them here. Whats up with that, it seems to make no sense to have to pay so much more for an ugly sticker that we are not allowed to remove :?
  4. I lived in the US for a few years, everything is really so much cheaper. I wish we could get cars for the same kinda money...

I believe that some helmets actually meet different specs depending on the market they're sold in. But that's a minority.

It's crap, I couldn't get the helmet that I wanted because the distributor wouldn't import it. I could have gotten it cheaper from the UK, including shipping.

We should just recognise DOT standards and be done with it.
  5. Yep i get all my major accessories from the US, so much cheaper than here. Anyway my 20 cents worth :LOL:
  6. Pretty much everything should be cheaper.

But I also find that local dealers/shops can cost quite a bit more than mail order/internet retailers, so if you know what you want & have a US address to ship the items to, you can save more that way. (But of course, if be sure about sizing and all that if you're going to go that route)
  7. Providing you want something from one of the 3-4 brands they stock that is.
  8. thanks for the input everyone.

as i understand it, pretty much everything EXCEPT the helmets are ok to buy over there simply because of the laws over here on helmet compliance.

9. uhm...silly question: who polices the helmet being used (should i happen to buy one in the US) ?
  10. have one guess..
  11. i get your drift.....
  12. It's been my experience that most things are cheaper Stateside. Just as an example, I recently priced a Timex watch that tells the tides and the temeperatures (yeah, I know, geeksville).

In Australia, its RRP is $279. I got one from the US on fleabay, landed here, for $149.00

Worth shopping around.
  13. http://www.ridersdiscount.com/

This place is very cheap, has everything, and ships internationally for $25. Ive never shopped from them but Ive heard (at Netrider I think) they are good.
  14. +1

Everything [bike related] is always cheaper in US