Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Acceptance of people's rides

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Santaria, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Is it normal for a group to be critical of someone's choice of ride? I've come across a few threads over the course of a few months (not on Netrider I don't think) and found that people can be very harsh on a person's bike if it isn't a specific type/brand etc or is a specific type like Ducati's breaking down, Harley's being tractors etc.. I personally don't, but I ride a GS500 so everything is a Porsche to me at the moment until I'm off of restrictions.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Holden vs Ford, European built vs Australian built.
    Even motorbikes have their colloquialisms, preferences, and humorous 'ribbing' - jap bike vs yank bike, latte sipping ducati riders vs power ranger hyper sports racers.
    Like in most things, a small minority push it too far and make it nasty or a pissing contest.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. People are people and always will be...

Don't let it affect your life choices.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. I don't care what anyone rides - we're all in the brotherhood together (except scooterists)
    • Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. #5 Nicholai_Chev, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    We aren't judgmental unless its a Hyosung, in which case we would ask if you need Tow-truck or point the Ducati rider to the nearest cafe :p
    You are always judged on how you ride, condition of your bike, how you dress and speak.

Some of the riders I know commute on older bikes which have seen better days but could out-ride the majority of us.
    The first thing I look on for someones bike to see if their talking shit is their tires; appropriate for weather, tread depth, pressure and how far they lean to gauge experience.

Best thing you can do is ride proudly and confidently.
    BTW: Most riders who know their stuff have a fair amount of respect for the GS-500, it may not be a looker however its deadly reliable and a solid bike.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. You see this everywhere across all communities. I'm new to the bike scene but have been around car communities for a long time and it happens everywhere. I've owned a variety of cars and I consider myself blessed to have enjoyed the whole spectrum.

There is beauty and enjoyment in all toys. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. If u ride a bike that has less than 100kws I don't want to know u ...
    • Funny Funny x 4
  8. My bike is way betterer than yours :)
  9. bikes are tools not toys
  10. You ride? We're happy to ride with you....
  11. My bike is way biggerer than yours :)
  12. Probably bigger than mine too!
  13. Biggerer is betterer, everyone knows that ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I have being riding for over 40 years and enjoy riding a 35 year old 250. And yes they may poke fun at me but in the hills they are not quicker. So I get the last laugh. And buy the way the GS500 is a great bike and if you know how to ride, it will do ok
    • Like Like x 2

15. :wideyed:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. There will always be a few dickheads who really do think your choice of bike is wrong in some way. I think many comments come across that way because text communication is devoid of any of the visual and voice cues that actually carry meaning, so they seem bad-intentioned. The FACT of the matter is that if it has 2 wheels and requires a licence then it's all good.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Here is a description of a famous cartoon I once saw in Easy Rider magazine. Three bikes at a set of traffic lights next to each other, a BMW twin tourer a cafe racer Triton and a chopper and there is a thought bubble connected to all three that says these other 2 blokes look like wankers. Tribalism at its best
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Meh. Ride what you want. It's your ride.

Don't bag me for my ride. I love it.

Scooters suck. I rode one for a while.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Ummm, you really haven't been here long, have you? :hilarious:
  20. I guess I meant there has been no malice. Just some general poking fun at worst.