Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Acceptable delivery km on new bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Man Hands, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I took delivery of my new bike today which was purchased from an interstate dealer. Turns out the bike has 180km on the odometer. The bike was advertised and sold as new - not as a demonstrator :?. 180km seems a bit much to me. Of the 3 new cars / bikes that I've bought I can't remember there being anything more than a few km on them at delivery.

So help me out here, what would you see as being acceptable km on a brand new bike? Have tried to contact the dealer but have not had a response yet.

2. Sounds like the boys have taken it for a couple of laps around the block...

Or to the track.

I was hearing stories on friday night about a dealer that took demo bikes to the track, flogged them all weekend, then put them back on the showroom floor for monday.

Because its an interstate dealer, i don't think you are going to have much luck. But i would certainly pursue it.

Keep us posted on how you go.
  3. yeah, I'd be asking serious questions about that. Anything I bought new before (car or bike) has only had a few kms on it at most. Sounds like this one was demo'd for sure.
  4. I've bought a few new cars and never had anything more than 8ks on the clock. I bought a demonstrator bike last year and it had 100ks - I would say that 180ks should have been sold as a demonstrator and not new - name and shame
  5. Thanks guys, will see what the dealership has to say about it. If they don't come to the party I'll happily name & shame.
  6. I bought my bike brand new, it had 12kms when I first saw it, and 25 on delivery, they said that was nothing at all and were just test rides after the service. I'd be worried about 180kms though
  7. Do your research. I believe that a new car can not be sold as a new car once the K's have gone over a certain amount, maybe as low as 60k's.
    I'm sure there would be a similar consumer law protecting bike buyers.
  8. I've bought a few new cars over the years & none of them have had more than 25-30km's on them & that includes taking them from the dealerships to have options fitted/tinted windows etc before I took delivery. 180km sounds like too many to me.

9. That definitely sounds like alot of kms for something "new". I would be asking serious questions. Sounds like it was a demonstrator model. Interesting to hear what they have to say.
  10. #10 Booki, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I wouldnt be happy with that! Guess on a positive its already been broken in...my new tard had less then 1km on it
  11. Definitely does not sound right.

When I bought my first brand new bike years ago, it had 23km on the clock. And even I thought that was unreasonable. 180km sounds like they have either;

A) sold you a demo as brand new due to nil stock
    8) taken the bike for a unessesary spin

It will be worthwhile contacting consumer affairs and raise this up, other than that. There may be a clause on the signed contract for purchase of a brand new vehicle which would possibly state the legal amount of KM upon delivery.

12. That sucks big time.
    The onus is on your to prove who put the K's on it.
    The contract you should have gotten with the bike should by law state the amount of k's on it at the time of sale. If it says 0 and you have signed it.... mmm
    Dunno mate, I would be all over the dealer like a fat kid on a chocolate cake.
  13. what did the tyres look like??
  14. Ok, so spoke to the dealer today and predictably they're not interested. They admit that the bike has been taken on test rides however they claim that as the bike was not registered as a demonstrator that it is still a 'new' bike.

I did a bit of quick research and it would appear that they are correct - under the act a the definition of a new vehicle is 'a vehicle that is not a second hand vehicle'. Second hand vehicle is defined as one that has been previously registered.

Checking the contract, the odometer reading has been left blank....I suspect intentionally. I don't know how I didn't pick up on this but that's my own fault. Dealer claims they are not required by law to record the odometer reading on a new vehicle contract. I haven't been able to find anything in the legislation that says otherwise.

Tyres look pretty new - still pretty shiny everywhere except the middle.

It would appear that while IMO its ethically pretty dubious - legally they haven't done anything wrong. I could engage a solicitor to look into it, but realistically its not worthwhile given the $$ involved. Moral of the story - buyer beware. I swear the motorcycle industry is full of more lowbreeds than car sales and real estate combined.:censored:
  15. So who was the Dealer???....
  16. #16 Kernel, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I don't see the fact that it's already had the initial run in period as a good thing. I would be a little bit pissed off about that. Sure there is the convenience factor, but I want the bike run in the way I want it run in.
    +1, name and shame the buggers
  17. Maybe don't name them outright but perhaps give us a ton of clues so we can be sure to avoid the mofos if we're ever fortunate to be purchasing new.
  18. 180 km is bullshit, it's not NEW anymore. Those 180km have probably been hard k's if it were a demo too. Not good on a fresh engine.

EDIT: just read your second dealing with them, **** them, name and shame!
  19. Name them. Name them loud and clear.