Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ABS Stats report - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Sir Ride Alot, May 3, 2011.

1. Just received from the ABS the Latest Causes of Death in Australia during 2009.

Heart disease still the leading cause of death in Australia
    The leading cause of death in Australia in 2009 was heart disease, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). While the proportion of deaths from heart disease has decreased over the past decade, it still accounted for 16.0% of all deaths in 2009, compared with 20.9% in 2000.

Deaths due to dementia and Alzheimer's disease have more than doubled over the past 10 years, accounting for 5.9% of all deaths in 2009 compared to 2.8% in 2000. Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease are now the third leading cause of death overall. Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease are most prevalent amongst females where they are the third leading cause of death, compared to sixth for males.

Lung cancer was responsible for the most deaths caused by cancer and is the fourth leading cause overall. Lung cancer accounted for 5.5% of all deaths and is the second leading cause of death for males and the fourth leading cause for females.

There were 2,130 deaths due to suicide in 2009. Males accounted for over three-quarters of all suicide deaths, with suicide ranking as the tenth leading cause of death of males, and the fourteenth leading cause overall. Suicide accounted for 22.1% of all deaths amongst 15-24 year old males in 2009.

Heart disease remains the leading cause of death amongst Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, accounting for 15.3% of all Indigenous deaths.

Diabetes and external causes of death are over-represented in the Indigenous population. Diabetes was responsible for 8.0% of all Indigenous deaths, compared with 2.9% of deaths of non-Indigenous people. External causes, including accidents, suicides and homicides, represented 13.9% of all Indigenous deaths, compared with 6.1% of non-Indigenous deaths.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...63AFD409CBAA7592CA25757C00272CF2?OpenDocument

Link to the actual data
    http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/3303.02009?OpenDocument

Check out the motorcycle information in the Victorian file from line 1574 onwards. It lists 34 motorcycle deaths from the total Victorian deaths of 35,640 during 2009.

536 people died from falls in Victoria during 2009. Line 1665

2. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Find out how many deaths there have been of people including children while in the Government's care in any one year.

That includes how many people;
    Abused (Physically or mentally)
    Raped
    Tortured
    Murdered
    Suicided
    Deaths in custody

The number of lives destroyed through incompetent or ineffectual Governing will easily level the playing field.

If you find that number, you have found political gold.
    If you find a dollar value, you have found gold bullion.

3. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

actually the leading cause of death in Australia is old age
    They really should be more specific and say premature death

4. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

"There were 2,130 deaths due to suicide in 2009."

That's about 40% more than the road toll. Where's the outcry from Overland?

5. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Can't see too many angles where the government makes money from it.

6. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

What I would like to know is,

How much is the government spending on preventing heart disease and cancer?
    How much is the government spending on preventing road fatalities?

Rob or someone? Can someone find that info?

Road fatalities account for 1% of all deaths (if i'm reading this right)....

7. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Imagine if that many (6) whales beached themselves per day - what an outcry then!

8. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Sure they could. Fine the multitude of people that make the botched attempt at it.

"Sir, i've caught you performing two slashes to your wrists. Here is your infringement notice. You are being charged with failing to maintain proper control of a life and endangering your blood flow, and I need to inform you that is going to be a $2,500 fine and a 5% increase on your taxes for the next 48 months."

9. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Don't waste your time. That's people killing themselves on purpose, it doesn't relate to people killing themselves by accident.

Whereas the roadtoll (people killing themselves by accident) has been hijacked for political gains. The Government has decided to be self elected to be responsible for it's reduction because of the human travesty. To call them to account for the lives lost in their care as a result of their incompetence at protecting the lives that are entrusted to them would sting more. Did i say sting? I meant burn.

If they can't protect the lives in their care, why should road users put their lives in their hands. Hit them where it hurts, politics is below the belt stuff.

Don't argue their points for them, change the argument. Politics 101

10. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Speeding is illegal but smoking isn't. Really shows the government cares about our safety, isn't that the message they always sprout? (speed cameras for our safety)

11. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

1. sharks
    2. crocs
    3. snakes
    3. spiders
    5. milats
    6. more sharks

12. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Stats mean shit all in realtions to road tolls until they are put into perspective.

Heart related death per head of population.
    Car fatality per liceneced operator.
    Bike fatalaty per licenenced operator.

Then of course for the latter 2, you would also need to make note about deaths of unlicenced operator.

13. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

lol i properly laughed and my boss gave me a stare! hehe
    oops! Maybe I shouldnt be on here while waiting for code to run lol

14. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Well said. Without putting the statistics into context, they don't mean an awful lot.

15. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Not to mention passengers and maybe even pedestrians.

16. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

They make too much money out of smoking to ban it,
    Like greed camera's, Its money for nothing.

17. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

That ain't workin'....

18. So statisically, I have a better chance of dying from suicide than riding the bike... I'd best stay away from rope, excessive amounts of panadol, and the wrong side of bridge handrails!

The young male suicide rate is disgusting though...

19. Given you are a motorcyclist, unfortunately not.

20. Re: ABS - Causes of Death, Australia, 2009

Just do what they used to do in Ye Olde' England... If you killed yourself it was a crime and they would take all your property =D>