Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ABS or no ABS

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Garido, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Hi there,

I have been riding a little bit in Europe two months ago and every bike I hired had ABS (both in Germany and Switzerland). When I got back to Oz and started looking for a new (second hand) bike, I noticed that there was hardly any ABS models on the market.

I ended up buying a Z750 (great bike, by the way), which - while produced both with ABS and without - isn't even available as an ABS model here in Australia.

What's the go there?
  2. It adds to the delivered cost of a bike.
    It adds to bike weight.
    It is not mandated by design rules here whereas I believe it either is or soon will be in Europe.
    Studies have shown it does not do a lot to statistically improve safety because riders get used to the capabilities and then just ride to that level.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Risk Homeostasis - The better the safety, the worse the driving/riding.

Just thought I'd input my uni learnings :angel:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The safety crats in the EU think motorbike ABS is the best thing since sliced silicon chips. It works for cars, it must therefore work for bikes. Manufacturers are offering it just so they stay on the public perception wave and wont be left behind in the motorcycle safety game. There are some benefits - no doubt, and there are some cons that are always underplayed... anyway, I'll avoid getting on my soap box.

Congratz on new bike - kwacka's rock. :)
  5. After Rob's post I realised my original post may have been considered a bit curt. It wasn't intended :) Congrats on the Z750.
  6. I must concur, the Z750 is most aesthetically pleasing!
  7. I remember reading somewhere that there was after seat belts became mandatory, there was a 25% rise in pedestrian/rear seat passenger death.

No clue about the validity though, just remember reading it somewhere.
  8. some new models here it's standard, which is dissapointing. because i don't need it or want it
    would rather save some money with it being offered on new models as optional.
    and yeah, as mentioned by cjvfr, less weight.
    for me, everything that can go must go. i"ll just rip it off the new bike and toss it if i don't need it.
    less weight = more killerwasps. i will sacrifice most anything for an extra killerwasp or three. and that includes food for me. i eat like a bird. if i can lose a kilo, that's one more killerwasp.
  9. I'd have to try the system out before I bought it. A system such as the Honda CBR1000's ABS would be great but I shudder to think how shitty the system would be on a budget 250 LAMS bike if it was mandated... I don't like the idea of having my brakes linked together though, I prefer to have control over each one independently for slow speed manuevers etc.
  10. Have done some cyberspace search and general feedback was that it is valuable on skiddy surfaces like gravel, sand, etc. I think all bikes I was riding that did have ABS had a switch for it as well, where you could turn it off.

The weight argument is obviously valid, even though with a few more hps you could probably overcome that.

As to price, like a lot of other things, once their built in numbers they're probably coming down.

The guy who sold me my bike originally stated that it did have ABS (not in his ad though). I didn't think it had and when I took it for a ride and applied the rear brake firmly, the tire locked straight away. Apparently, the bike is built with ABS, but not sold as such in the Australian market, but only in Europe.
  11. How much weight is it?
  12. ABS adds 4kg total weight to my ER-6n according to the handbook as the specs for the non ABS model are there as well.

One definite advantage of ABS is insurance. Yamaha XJ6n non ABS = $650 odd PA v ER-6n ABS = $308 PA to insure. I can't see any reason for the difference except for the ABS between the two bikes from an insurance point of view.
  13. I think that you need to compare the same bike to see the insurance difference

I just did a CBR600RR 2011 model vs CBR600RR 2011 with ABS on 'Insure my ride' for myself (35 yo with 10+ years riding experience) and got $709 pa for the non ABS and $745 for the ABS.

Oh did the same bikes for 21 yo and 1 year experience and got $1291 pa vs $1345 pa

Maybe you can't make any gross statements about insurance risk, and perhaps the ABS would attract less "confident" returning riders (who would still put 10+ years experience) and hence risk is higher for the ABS model and hence so are premiums.
  14. Good point. I just did the same exercise with my details, $612 non v $673 ABS version.

In that case, I can't see the reason why the ER-6n is so much cheaper to insure than the XJ6. Even plugging the numbers into insuremyride the ER-6n is $355.53 v the XJ6 is $536.60 and the market value of the 2010 XJ6 was $500 cheaper to boot.
  15. Different bikes even of similar styles and power are often quite different in insurance rates. This is because of part cost differences, design differences affecting the likelihood of damage etc.
  16. I think you will find that the price difference is more due to the fact that the more expensive model was either involved in more accidents over a recent period of time, or has been stolen more often. Essentially, like with any other insurance, premiums are established on the basis of historical pay-out data. The more they paid out over a recent period, the more they charge for it.