Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ABS explained

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by spenze, Jun 6, 2012.

1. A detailed analysis of ABS.

Attached Files:

• ABS.
      File size:
      22.5 KB
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Finally, a way I understand!
  3. Notice how the non ABS bike stops short.

Classic that.
  4. Love it! Haha.
  5. However, notice how the ABS bike was able to steer mid braking!

Oh, I'm soooooo gonna get banned now :D
  6. ABS bike was probably travelling at 68km/h.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Just try and steer mate, just try and steer...
  8. Steered right around that ban button! Touche brother, I concede when a victor presents ;)
  9. Its clearly a photoshop Job ,At that angle the ABS off dog would have tipped over long before it hydroplaned
  10. It was the rear that was locked though.. TAC physics have shown that it's possible to stay upright with a locked rear for a lot longer than that!
  11. This makes me wish i had a dog and a beach to prove you WRONG.

If the rear was locked we would have a resultant fishtail pattern
  12. It all depends on weather you were dragged by the scruff of the neck and maximum ball bag contact.
  13. HAHAHA! When I read the title I thought it was going to be another one of those technical mumbo-jumbo threads! :)

Now I don't know which post to quote first between fits of laughter! :) Awesome, and quite educating, too :)
  14. Placeholder......this has potential......

ABS in OP.....A Barking Squid?
  15. I get criticised every time I say this, but I'm going to say it again now.

That is NOT how ABS works. I have just completed 16,000 kms riding a bike fitted with ABS - this photo is totally misleading. ABS controls the friction pressure applied by the brake pads on the brake disk. That means that there is always some friction applied to the brake disk - in the case of ABS - its the optimal pressure.

If you don't own a bike fitted with ABS, or have not ridden one fitted with ABS - then your view/understanding of ABS is more than likely to be a little askew - as believers in this image appear to ascribe.
  16. Lighten up jd
  17. Thanks for that. It just amuses me about the angst people go to about the impending introduction of ABS to all bikes.......mostly from those who don't own one fitted with ABS. This pic is one of their favourites :ROFLMAO:
  18. .....

Attached Files:

19. Even my partner understands it and that's saying something.
  20. Firstly, what's your point. Secondly, there are a few types of abs, they don't all work the same. Lastly, your bike has no way of knowing what "optimal pressure" is required to keep the wheels spinning.