Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ABS crash vid

Discussion in 'Multimedia' at netrider.net.au started by sebapl10, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Just have a few questions about this accident as it definitely looks like it could of been avoided by the rider and driver of course.

What should he have done?

Poor braking?

Poor control to maneuver around the car?

Would ABS of saved him?

Did he panic and just hit the brake?

Just would like to know your opinions and not ones from the professors at youtube.

Thanks

2. Target fixation at the end did him in.

• Agree Agree x 2

3. what do you mean, as he couldnt make his mind up to brake or swerve. Initially i thought that hes reactions were soooo slow before he braked

4. no, right up to and including the moment of impact he is staring at the bonnet of the car.

[quote}Initially i thought that hes reactions were soooo slow before he braked[/quote]

you can hear the bike decelerating almost immediately less than 1 second into the clip.

IMO and we will never know, because it is behind the car and out of sight it looks like the rear wheel is locked and turning into the car he releases the rear and the bike flicks around a little and he hits the front of the car rather than skimming past.

it's easy to critique but all but those who religiously drill these emergency braking techniques would probably done the same

in fractions of seconds you need to decide left or right... what you can realistically achieve, anticipate that the driver is not going to continue moving forward, or slam it into reverse, fight the instinctually reactions to do every thing that is wrong.

i'd say most people would had ended up shiny side down

well he wouldn't have locked his wheels before ploughing into the side of the car... it might have stopped him right before he hit the car??? it would have done nothing for his fixation and looking down as he tried to swerve

I think it was a controlled deceleration until he realised it wasn't going to be enough, bad decision followed by instincts kicking in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. No he had plenty of time, look where he is looking just prior to hitting the car, straight at the bonnet. He even leans away pushing the bike further over.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. ABS stops your brakes from locking up.
    Doesn't stop you from hitting stationary objects

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. There's no way the outcome would have been any different in this situation even if he had ABS. As already suggested, he target fixated, otherwise you can see plenty of room in front of the car, he could have quite easily gone around.
    That and poor roadcraft. He wasn't paying proper attention to the road ahead and didn't anticipate the car could pull in front of him, which it did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. At his velocity, he could have even escaped to the outer dirt and gone around. Stopping should have been easy. Poor skills.

9. Whilst the riders target fixation was the main issue as he could have made it around the vehicle. It was all over wheb he locked the back wheel up. Panic braking will be a riders downfall. Keep your head on. Brake appropriately and steer around the vehicle. The car had stopped and there was still a good couple metres of bitumen in front of it that the rider could have used. Avoidable...yes...can everyone do it....well yes and no...if one practices what they can do under brakes they can avoid it.

Personally I would have applied a little braking pressure but when sure the vehicle had stopped I would have aimed for the gap in front of the vehicle

Didn't need the dirt. There was a good couple metres of bitumen in front of the car

10. No ABS would not have made a difference. The noise you can hear is probably the rear and wouldn't have contributed anyway.

Target fixation aside, I though he was late to start braking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The bike doesn't appear to have a clear nose down attitude. It looks like it was all rear brake. Major braking technique failure there for that type of bike. Was this a cruiser rider having a go on a mate's bike? And no, ABS wouldn't have made any difference, although some are linked brakes now, and a little front brake would have come in - hard to say whether it would have stopped him in time.

He's not hammering out of the corner, the bike looks fairly upright, so let's be generous and say 60km/h max. That looks like 20 - 25m distance from when you see the bike in frame to the collision point... so a good ebrake should have pulled that bike up well and truly short.

He should have also had plenty of early warning as he should have been looking well down the road already on exiting the corner. Perhaps he couldn't believe his eyes?

Although the driver is in the wrong, meandering out just downstream of a corner and not getting a wriggle on, the rider definitely could have avoided the prang.

iClint, I think you're thinking about yourself when you say that every rider would have frozen up in a similar circumstance. You'd better get your ebraking skills under control and retrain that lizard part of your brain to automatically do the right thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. He should have steered right to go behind the car instead of going left and going the same direction as the car.

13. I dont believe I said that at all (and probably why you didn't quote it)

I did say...

with the meaning to be taken, If you don't practice/drill your E-Braking don't be so quick to judge the guy in the video's ability.

I know many blokes who work non stop to improve their riding technique in particular cornering but neglect braking, to their detriment.

14. #14 robsalvv, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    I stand corrected, I misread, but even looking closer, it still reads like "cut the guy some slack, well drilled riders would have done the same." on anything but a very close reading. But anyway, I stand corrected. :)

You don't have to religiously drill the ebraking (i.e., every day, multiple times, or every ride etc) for there to be some benefit but you should do it regularly.*

*Edit: I do it at the end of a ride, nearing home, where I have some points of reference to work off so I can track whether it was a good one, and also because my brain is tired so the tired brain learns how to ebrake.

15. That's a really good point. Tired brain.

I often practice e-braking.....maybe a couple of times a week during the commute...

I think I'll add some "tired brain" e-braking into the mix too.

Thanks for the tip :D

16. Why limit your practice to a familiar piece of road.why not try it anytime you see something of interest Concrete surface, hot mix, cold mix, gravel, dirt, grooved, in the wet?

your bikes braking will be different in every case the point at which your brakes lock or your ABS kicks in will be different as will be your stopping distance.

Knowing how quick you can stop in the culdesac near home won't help when your on a shit surface through a section of road works.

17. Practice on the road surfaces and conditions you most encounter in your riding.

Just by the by, if you happen to hit a wet concrete rutted bit of highway, do you modify your riding or carry on regardless just because you did some ebraking on that surface at some point?

18. On anyone of my typical rides i would encounter just about every road surface you could imagine.

No, I'd ride to the conditions, get a feel for the road surface and adjust to suit.

If you have ridden thunder bolts in recent months (probably not being from VIC) the road surface changes to all of the above between Walcha and Gloucester.

19. That must be a fun ride, practicing ebraking on each new surface.

How effective is it, this practice on various surfaces? How do you know you did a good ebrake?

20. it is... why would you think i am constantly practicing ebrakes all the way?

well when i do practice, if i keep the bike tracking, and pull up in a decent distance, i'd call that 'decent one' and make a mental note of the distance for future reference.

just by the by, why do all your posts (not just this thread) seem so negative and dismissive of any opinion that is not in following with your's?

• Like Like x 1