Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ABS Brakes

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by TheMav, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,

Whilst ABS brakes are evidently beneficial on cars, I've seen mixed opinions when it comes to bikes fitted with ABS.

Today I was almost taken out by a P Plater in a car who decided to swerve into my lane without indication. I had to brake hard to avoid collision but this caused my wheels to lock up. Consequently, I fell off the side of my bike but I escaped with only minor injuries thanks to my armoured jacket and kevlar jeans. My poor VTR250 was not so lucky and had to be towed away.

What is the general consensus on ABS brakes here? Would they have saved me in such a situation or are they useless on two wheels?

2. Search is your friend
  3. I don't know that there's a consensus, but a number of people who are quite well informed on the subject.

I, alas, am not one of them. But I am opinionated, so we will pretend that's the same thing.

Based on what you described, a bike with ABS stood more chance of surviving the encounter than your VTR had. Someone else might have been able to stop the VTR in the same distance as an ABS bike; you might be able to stop it in the same distance as if it had ABS with some practice.

But if you're like me, doing 95%+ of your riding on the roads, and if you're not 100% on top of your braking skills and practicing regularly to stay that way, then ABS can only be a good thing. It's no substitute for good braking technique, but it's a safety net that hurts less than the bitumen does. The bike I bought when I came off restrictions didn't have ABS. I sold it for a bike with ABS in less than one year. That's how long it took me to learn my limitations as a rider and to realise that when it counts the most, I need that safety net. Others may not, but I do. And it's already paid for itself in terms of braking confidence in less than ideal situations.

TL/DR if you're roadbike shopping, buy one with ABS and then practice your braking like it doesn't have it. Be the best rider you can be, and have the technology there to step in if you need it to.
  4. If a lock up caused you to crash + and stops your wheels from locking. = no crash. (at least no crash caused by you locking your brakes and going down. )

Yes that's a simplistic overview but ... No lock up under brakes for exp or inexp riders is a big safety boost.
  5. I'm reserving judgment until I have a chance to test-ride and ABS-equipped bike, but notionally if you can stop a wheel from locking under brakes you should still have a measure of control over it....
    • Like Like x 1

6. From what I can tell the makers of this video are pushing for mandatory ABS. So like everyone else, these people have an angle.

Regardless, watch the footage with your eyes open, make your own judgement.
  7. #7 TheMav, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Thanks Blacke, I think I will look for a bike fitted with ABS.

Dougz, I have already searched which is why I know there are many who are against having ABS although their reasons are unclear.

I think this video highlights the benefits of ABS [media=youtube]ZzmL6s4dK44[/media]

There doesn't seem to be any significant cons to having ABS fitted on a bike but if anyone has information to the contrary, please share.

8. that's pretty brave stuff doing that test without the out-riggers!!
  9. The instructors at HART were quite clear on the subject. They said go for the ABS every time if it is available. The extra $500 it costs would be less than the damage repairs from a crash it would help you avoid. They did say that in some cases it could lengthen a stopping distance, but from what I've read that's likely to be in dirt/gravel and not on the road.
  10. I have a feeling that in a few years the discussion on electronic rider aids will end up like the ATGATT one. That is, if you don't support it you must be a squid and "bad".

**** that shit. You crashed and all I see is a bunch of excuses. Simon Crafar seems to get it, and as he says in the following video, riders need to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. And no, ABS and ATGATT is not taking responsibility.

11. When I complete my HART Advanced Rider we were E-Braking from 100km/h with no ABS and it was fine.

However! It was a controlled, predictable situation where we could practice the technique with premeditation.

My last two road bikes (including my current) have ABS - I commute everyday (no matter how good or bad the conditions are) and I can categorically state that ABS has saved the front from washing out on more than one occasion.

For the real world - ABS is a good thing......it won't replace good technique or mechanical sympathy - but it will help bad technique work a "little" better....

Just my 2c
  12. See what I mean by their reasons are unclear?

Mate, go buy a push bike if you're such a technophobe.
  13. if everyone could ride like an ex-superbike rider, you wouldn't NEED any electronic assistance

of course, we can't......

that clip proves nothing
  14. I reckon Deadsy will live up to his name in no time
  15. I hate ABS, and traction control, and any vehicle that tries to 'assist me' electronically, and those irritating flappy paddle gearboxes that say things like 'Shift Denied' on the dashboard if you try to change down a gear a fraction too early. (The new SS Camaro if you're wondering which beige health and safety approved POS comes up with that crap)

Learn to do it for yourself and don't fall into the trap that a mindless machine can save you. Take your moaning elsewhere. You crashed. Learn from your errors and become a safer rider as a result.

(Harsh but someone has to say it.)
    • Like Like x 2
  16. If this is aimed at me then your sh!t out of luck - I ride pushies too (ex-mountain now road)...... everything two wheels for me brother....it's my disease and I wouldn't change it for anything
  17. I know what you mean, fn, we should go back to non-synchro gearboxes and drum brakes and vacuum-operated windscreen wipers......

18. I stated at least one reason very clearly. I even put it in bold for you, you dumb ****.

How does the road taste bro? Along with ABS and gear I can also suggest a fluoro vest as yet another crutch with which to prop up your poor riding ability. That way you have your braking covered, you have an argument against SMIDSY and when you do still inevitably do come off again because you learn nothing from your mistakes and taking personal responsibility for your riding, you will be well protected.
  19. It wasn't my error as I had described.

I was trying to figure out whether there are any cons to having ABS fitted on a bike. Sorry if I ruined your day buddy.
  20. I bought my first bike with ABS in 1996 and I've had several more since then with and without ABS. Currently one of my bikes has ABS but the other one doesn't. Under controlled conditions I have been able to out brake the ABS on every bike I've owned but never the less it's saved me from locking up the wheels a number of times and from one time I'm convinced I would have had a nasty accident.

It's not the be all and end all of safety devices and I wouldn't pay several thousand dollars for it but at $500 or there abouts it's cheap insurance even if it only stops a single low speed drop during the life of the bike.

As for making it required... I'm not really fan of forcing people to do stuff and it'd reduce the choice of models so my vote would be no to that even though I buy and use ABS (where available) myself.
    • Like Like x 3