Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ABS and learners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by NJS, May 8, 2008.

1. yes

2. no

0 vote(s)
  1. Should you learn to ride on a bike with ABS? Safer maybe but what happens when you ride a bike without it? Are you learning how to really ride a bike?
    Apologies if this has already been done, but I have not come accross it.

2. I voted 'yes', but as per my comment in your bike-selection thread, it's with a caveat.

I feel that it would be possible to learn correct braking with an ABS-equipped bike - smooth application of brakes, braking up to the threshold, learning just how much distance is needed to pull the bike up without locking the wheels...

... but it is critical that the rider (inexperienced or not) basically rides as if the bike isn't equipped with ABS and brake as best they can 'by hand'. It is, afterall, a safety net for when human ability falls short in an emergency situation, not something to rely upon.
  3. I think everyone should learn to ride on shitboxes with none of that hand-holding crap. Makes a better rider of you.
  4. Pardon my ignorance, but what will ABS do to a bike?
  5. Learner on new bike -> Panic Brakes -> Locks up front/rear wheel -> Sensor detects lockup -> Brake pressure momentarily diverted -> wheel unlocks -> pressure builds up, causing the brakes to engage again -> Repeat until bike stops/learner releases brake -> Rider keeps it up -> saves clogging the forums with "rider down" threads.

So ABS keeps our forums clean(er) :cool:

(Although it should be a safety net, not a cover for poor technique)
  6. Anti-lock Braking System

Gunna stop the bike become destabilised and falling down due to a wheel locking up and skidding.
  7. Wow
    I'm 100% for that! Haven't had my bike lock up on me as yet... but then I've never been one to grab fistfulls of brakes in a panic.

At least I don't think I do...
  8. Slight issue, I can't think of any learner-legal bikes with ABS.

There might be a BMW or two, but they're priced way out of the league
    of most learners.

Can anyone think of a [L] bike with ABS at a price under $10k?
  9. Hi Peaches,

It's really one of the great philosophical questions of our time. "Do driver aids make you a bad driver?"

I still practice my emergency stops on the Tiger-1050ABS to maintain my emergency braking skills - braking as hard as I can without ABS engaging in wet and dry conditions. ABS is the $1000 accessory I never want to actually use and I ride as if my bike doesn't have it.

What Loz says is right... Without ABS to 'lean on' a learner will need to have a greater understanding of skid-recovery and proper braking technique.
  10. There's nothing below $10,000 brand-new.

Honda's brand-new CB400 ABS is $10990+ORC (CB400 non-ABS is $9990+ORC)
    BMW's F650CS and GS (the pre-2008 ones, not the stupid 800cc "650") had optional ABS and are available for $8000-12000 second-hand.

Can't think of any others that are LAMS approved.
  11. +1, even if you were being ironic :grin: .

Mind you, crap brakes, crap braking technique and inattention all conspired to cause me to torpedo a bus way back.

Overall though, I go for the shitbox principle.
  12. For the next month it is still possible in QLD. The other thing is more and more bikes will, most likely, be having it at least as an option in the near future. Plus the way some systems in this country are currently set up it is possible to get a full license with minimal riding as long as you are good on the day.
  13. I'd MUCH rather see bikes with "Traction Control", and Slipper clutches", than ABS braking.

I have doubts that ABS is going to make you a better or worse rider, but it 'might' save you from dropping the bike in a few instances...PROVIDING your other skills - particularly avoidance skills, are adequate.
  14. I am a firm believer of the driver / rider should learn for themselves. I started driving on VW beetle and I learnt that you can't just go hmmm a slight gap if I floor it I can cut infront of this car and no harm done. Instead you think hmmm I can wait for 2 more seconds and turn safely esp as the bug didn't have much power off the line.

It also meant you took time on the corners to set them up correctly because the car won't just think for you
  15. It's about time that the safety features commonly available in cars are fitted to all bikes.
  16. Yes, let's all have seatbelts and shatterproof windshields and windscreen
    wipers and collapsible steering columns and reversing sensors
    and windscreen demisters (gee that'd be great) and childproof door locks
    and polystyrene-filled bumper bars ...! :grin: :p :LOL:

So, obviously most car safety features are not applicable to bikes.
    Those that are, some are applicable in only a limited way (e.g. ABS
    on bikes will NOT help unless you are vertical and travelling in a straight
    line). Oh, and yeah... most bikers don't want, or don't want to pay for,
    these features. Otherwise bikes would have them, because it's such
    a competitive feature-driven market.
  17. I would like to see "common sense", "courtsey" and "a brain" be mandatory features for cagers rather than optional extras.
  18. +++1 campag. Ohhhhh yeahhh! :LOL: :p
  19. +1