Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

About to perform first service

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by horto15, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I’m about to do my first bike service (having owned it for about 4 months) on my 1992 Suzuki Across

Listed to do:
    Check F + R brake pads
    Check brake fluid
    New oil filter
    Change oil
    New air filter
    Replace spark plugs
    Check/adjust clutch cable
    Check/adjust brake cable

Considering removing fuel cock to clean out the little fuel filter – worthwhile or not necessary?
    Anything else I have missed? I will take it in for a ‘major’ service the next time around (about November)
    Generally, the bike runs great and I haven’t ever noticed problems with it

Thanks, appreciate your feedback
  2. Sounds like you've got everything there...

in regards to the fuel filter it really depends how fussy you are. it dosn't hurt to change it. but if you C.B.F then dont worry about it.

have fun.
  3. Check air pressure in tyres, lube/oil chain and check tension on chain.
  4. Ah yes, sorry I should have added check air pressure and lube chain (two routine things for me anyway) but yes I will check the chain tension as well, thanks!
  5. Inspect suspension.
  6. First time servicing a bike?

Make sure you gap the spark plugs properly.

When you fill up on the oil fill up a little less than indicated to avoid over filling and topping up after a short ride to get the oil circulating.

Before you try start the engine, crank it over with the kill switch on (meaning 'off' as in the bike wont start) to build up the oil pressure/circulate oil.

Have a look at the fuse box too to make sure nothing looks crusty/broken.
  7. Thanks for all the advice guys. Serviced the bike last night and it seems to be in great condition. Old oil was in pretty good condition suggesting good engine condition (?) hasn’t been serviced for 5,000km

Replaced oil and filter, did all the necessary checks and tightened the chain – I didn’t realise how easy this is to do! Thankfully, my mate has been around bikes a lot longer than I have – air filter looked almost brand new and spark plugs didn’t need replacing either. Cleaned and lubed chain and topped up air pressure in tyres to finish the job off…. And then gave it a really good clean.

Looks and runs great now! Only problem now is the fuel and boot switches not working.. (discussed in another thread I started) :S