Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

About mileage...

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by seiyachan, Mar 27, 2008.

1. What is regarded as "high mileage" for an old bike? As I am looking for a second hand learner bike at the moment and I am looking at bikes from around year 1995, just wanna get an idea of the usual/normal mileage.

What is the maximum mileage a normal engine under usual riding style can get before engine rebuilt in a bike? similar to a car?
  2. How long is a peice of string?

What make and model bike are you looking at?
  3. No it's not similar to a car. Bike engines see a bucket load more stress. state of tune vs reliability is not a linear curve.

Modern bike engines are better but I'd never by a bike with six figures on it.
  4. My 1992 Across has just clicked over 40,000 which i think is reasonable given it is 16 years old... 2500 per year
  5. Big tourers last forever, small sportsbikes wear out real quick.

A good owner can make a small sportbike last a long time.

A poor owner can wear out a big tourer real quick.

So it's impossible to say whether or not a bike is worn out
    just by looking at the mileage alone. I've seen bikes with 30,000km
    that are stuffed, and I've bought bikes with 80,000km and ridden them
    for another 80,000km.

But as a general rule, there are very few bikes that will last well into
    six figures because they haven't had the fastidious maintenance
    that requires.
  6. About 4 years ago I bought a ZZR600 with 93,000 on the clock. It has currently 30,000 (second time around) and I'm planing to ride it to WA in October.

Just get the bike checked over, ie compression etc before purchase and mileage should not be a problem.
  7. My 'learner' 1981 CB250 has now 103,000 kms on the clock. Reliable and starts every time first-time. May not be a sports bike but just keeps plugging along - and will sit on 110kmh true on the freeway.....
  8. I am interested to get the suzuki across for my first bike. but still looking. i've seen a 95 across with 50,000km on the meter.

i was curious about the mileage and talked to those had the learner class with me. i've been told that the lower mileage in bikes of similar age to cars generally because it's not usually for long distance commuting and normally used for shorter jorney or weekend ride for fun. i think this kind of make sense.

so then i have this question, if a bike is used for everyday long distance commuting like a car, it's not unusual it can get up to 20,000km in a year like some cars do. then say how many year it can last under this condition with regular maintenance it might need? 6 years and get a new one? a decent bike is not cheap when new in my opinion.
  9. In the past when I have spoken to suzuki mechanics about the Across, they
    generally expected 60,000-90,000km before doing expensive engine repairs.
  10. I looked at them for a while, but in the end decided on getting another newer bike. The problem I had was that it was hard to find a low mileage bike, and those that were low mileage were well overpriced for an older bike.
    In the end I got a 1 year old low K's bike at a good price, so Im happy.

When I go for buying things I tend to use a thirds rule;
    The first third of its life is the meat, its working perfectly and is very sweet.
    The second third is where its working well, but could be better, starts to show signs of age (Increased servicing, consumables start to wear out.).
    The last third is where the age shows, things begin to fail and it generally has decreased reliability.

The problem with buying second hand is you are unsure of how it has been used or abused, It could have been well cared for and be perfect mechanically, and be in the first or second third of its life, and have plenty of K's left of great riding and general use.
    Alternately it could have been abused, had late or skipped services, and be well into the third or on its deathbed.

There are signs that will point to which its in, but sometimes it can be hard to tell. The across is a fantastic bike, although maybe a little highly strung for me now that I have thought about it. If one with low KM's on the clock, in good cosmetic condition had come up, I would have jumped at it, Unfortunately one did not.
    I have seen a few across's with over 100,000km on them, and I have to say if they are well maintained, they seem to be a bike which will go forever if not abused.
  11. Looking for an across?

There are good and bad points about it as there are with every bike.

I had a CBR250RR which hit the deck in an accident and then my brother bought an across. The difference between the two is phenominal.

The across i gather has a more restricted exhaust because i cant seem to get power out of it below about 9000rpm. it doesnt have the same top end as the cbr either. the storage compartment is really handy but doesnt fit my helmet in ... my helmet is an XL and the compartment is advertised to fit in XL helmets but what can you do...

over all in terms of handling and power id say the CBR250RR is a fair whack better than the Across but the across has a much more comfortable seating position. the cbr has a more aggressive, wrist hurting, riding position.

the across feels more like your perched on top of it too. the cbr feels like you are sitting in it. completely different feeling. they are both still inline 4's and similar horse power.

also we paid 2700 or so for a 1997 model Across which is the latest model the brought out. i think they had 3 different designs they brought out.

hope it helps.
    if in doubt try them out. you cant go wrong
  12. I know a fellow who had a CB250RS for what must have been 20 years. It was his first bike too, bought new. God knows how many km it did but he still calls it 'the bike that wouldn't die'. He sold it a few years ago. Good thing Honda didn't rely on him to keep their business going.
  13. Thanks for the comments on both bikes. I was looking at the CBR250RR as well, but as I am new to motorcycle, wanna get a comfortable learner bike and this is one of the reasons I prefer the Across. and the handy storage compartment too. :)