Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ABC pro-coalition

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by russ, Sep 2, 2009.

1. http://www.smh.com.au/national/shock-horror-abc-procoalition-study-20090902-f83j.html

paging Hornet.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

2. Call me a cynic, but I find it somewhat hard to believe that the Herald can deliver an un-biased report on the political slant of the media. Although, after reading the article I'm unsure what their motives are.
  3. Hmmm. That was pretty interesting.

When I think of the Media being biased I mainly think of the tone of interviews Labor V Coalition in the 7:30 report and things like that.
  4. Makes Costello's piece in The Age last week incorrect.

5. The argument of whether the ABC leans left or right has been ongoing. However for a while I noticed that ABC News online was definitely right biased for a while around the last election. It has since returned to normal though - I think there was a change of management at some point, can remember reading something about it.
  6. I always thought the ABC was a labour faction.
  7. ^^ well it was set up by labor wasnt it?
  8. The role of the media should be to hold the government of the day accountable. It should now be questioning the ruling ALP, as it should have done with the coalition. However, when senior journalists resign and then become ALP members and then government MP's, it's hard to believe them when they then maintain they are impartial.
  9. When senior journalists resign and deseat the prime minister, well that's just good entertainment! :p

10. Along the same lines I suppose...but let's not mention Peter Garrett...what a sell out. I want my money back for the Midnight Oil albums I bought when he wasn't an ALP stooge.
  11. I'm kind of left wing and even I found that a surprise.

I think they just criticise those in power though (quite rightly), and up until lately, that's been the Libs. Makes sense they are now hangin shit on the Labor govt...I guess.
  12. True story. There's no fun and scandals to be had by prodding the opposition.
  13. The wiki article suggests that 10 have gone to ALP, 9 to the LNP.
  14. Of course it was. What right wing government would set up an unregulated, unbiased, government funded media organisation? Whatever it's bias now, it came from a leftist perspective. It stands to reason that it's likely to show leftist bias.

However, I think it's more inclined to run a fairly centric hard line these days. I don't think there's that much bias.
  15. Totally and completely untrue... :LOL:

Following a 1927 Royal Commission inquiry into radio licensing issues, the government established the National Broadcasting Service which subsequently took over a number of the larger funded stations. It also nationalised the Australian Broadcasting Company which had been created by entertainment interests to supply programs to various radio stations.

Prime Minister from 1923 to 1929 - Stanley Bruce (Nationalist)

On 1 July 1932, the Australian Broadcasting Commission was established, taking over the operations of the National Broadcasting Service and eventually establishing offices in each of Australia's capital cities.

Prime Minister on 1 July 1932 - Joe Lyons (United Australia Party).
  16. :LOL: Well, considerably before my time. They're right wing parties are they? I stand corrected!
  17. Before my time as well - and possibly even before Hornet's time... :LOL: :p

You could call them conservative - in the case of Bruce, very much so.

Bruce became Viscount Bruce of Melbourne later in life. (the first Australian to become an hereditary peer) He also drove a Rolls Royce and wore white spats. He was very much an English style of Tory and came from a very wealthy background. He also tried to abolish the Arbitration Commission.
    Until Howard, he was the only incumbent Prime Minister to lose his seat at an election.

Joe Lyons left the ALP and helped found the United Australia Party (later to become the Liberals). His wife Dame Enid Lyons was the first woman in the House of Representatives and the first female cabinet minister (in the Menzies government). While he wasn't as conservative as Bruce, he started on the right of the ALP and moved even further right later.
  18. Interesting.

Also, I don't think anything was before hornet's time. :)
  19. That's a bit funny, looking at the censorship being put in place by the current labor government!