Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National AAMI safe driver app and police/insurance

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by mainstage, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Data retention: AAMI Safe Driver app could see information handed to police, premiums go up
    Lateline By Margot O'Neill
    Updated 15 minutes ago

PHOTO: A still from an ad for AAMI's Safe Driver app, which some cyber-security experts say poses a privacy risk. (YouTube: AAMI Insurance)

Insurance giant AAMI could hand over data to police from its Safe Driver App and is leaving the door open to increasing insurance premiums based on a driver's score.

AAMI is promoting the app aimed at young drivers because of what it says is a rise in illegal driving behaviour, including texting, phoning and speeding.

But while it records and rewards safe driving, the app also logs speeding, accelerating, hard-braking and phone usage.

When asked whether police could access the app's data, AAMI acknowledged that it "may supply driving data and personal information to the police... when legally compelled to do so".

AAMI has boasted that one of the app's "cool features" is that it "creates a map of each journey and identifies the points... where an 'incident' occurred".

If there is an accident, the company says it does "... not currently use data from the app in the claims process".

A bad driving score also does not "currently negatively affect ... [drivers'] premiums".

AAMI points out that it is optional for drivers to "disclose who they are on the app".

YOUTUBE: What if a barista collected data like an app?
    But cyber-security expert Wade Alcorn said it would take minimal effort to identify an individual user if the company or police chose to do so.

AAMI's Safe Driver app is "a good example of how consumers can give up more information than they realise and then find it might be used in a different way in the future," Mr Alcorn said.

Most consumers did not understand the vast amount of personal information being captured and stored by the digital economy, he said.

An increasing number of devices and gadgets such as mobile phones, computers, tablets, smart TVs and wearable technology leave a detailed digital exhaust trail showing where individuals are, who they are emailing, texting or talking to and what they are searching for or purchasing online.

Using hidden cameras, the ABC's Lateline program recorded how people reacted when routine digital requests for personal information, such as text messages and location, were posed by a shop assistant.

Expert warns all users should be thinking about encryption

One of the world's leading experts in data security and privacy, Bruce Schneier, called on consumers to learn how to encrypt their digital communications to evade what he describes as constant, unregulated, mass corporate and government surveillance of personal data.

"There are tools that are easily ... searchable that you can use to protect your privacy," Mr Schneier said.

"I recommend using them all. I recommend encrypting your hard drive, encrypting your cell phone.

"There are apps so that you can make sure you use an encrypted link between you and your web server; there are apps for encrypted messaging."

Tips for better online privacy

Turn on maximum privacy settings on all social media and re-check the settings regularly;
    Always sign out of online accounts (eg email, Facebook) when you are not using them;
    Wherever possible tap 'don't allow' when apps ask to access your location, photos, contacts, etc;
    Put a sticker over your web cam when not in use;
    Use private mode on your web browser whenever possible. In Firefox and Safari it's 'Private Window', in Chrome it's 'Incognito' and in IE it's 'InPrivate Browsing'
    Source: Cyber security expert Wade Alcorn
    Last week Federal Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull acknowledged he used the secret messaging service, Wickr, which encrypts and then destroys messages.

It is not a guarantee of absolute privacy but such tools can make it harder to track an individual.

"We're giving away a lot of privacy," Mr Schneier said.

"The 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' argument ... is ridiculous. Privacy is not about something to hide.

"Privacy's about human dignity, privacy's about individuality.

"Privacy is about being able to decide when we show ourselves to other people.

"The harm is being under constant scrutiny.

"We know that people who are under constant surveillance are more conformist, they're less individual, less free."

While people have questioned the extent of government surveillance, there was too little discussion about the vast streams of personal data being logged every day by corporations and often given to governments, Mr Schneier said.

"I think of it as the public-private surveillance partnership," he said.

"It's really hard to separate the two because data the government collects, corporations use; data that corporations collect, governments use.

"They both help each other, they support each other."

Watch the full story on Lateline at 9:30pm (AEDT) on ABC News 24 or 10:30pm local time on ABC.

http://ab.co/1wnomXU

2. And cue the "if you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear".

Anyone who didn't think AAMI would use the data collected to put your premiums up really needs a big dose of reality.

Since getting my smart phone I try to turn if off when ever I'm on the bike and often just leave it at home.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. So it turns out I was not actually a tinpot paranoic to suspect this as soon as the ad aired...
    I suppose I should be grateful that it appears to be targeted firstly at fearful dweebs and not competent road users.

I have no doubt that the app offered by a certain motorcycle insurance seller that purports to be about sharing 'great rides' is actually based on the same idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. the app also logs speeding, accelerating, hard-braking "
    , AAMI acknowledged that it "may supply driving data and personal information to the police... when legally compelled to do so".

Just turn up at your local police station on Monday morning with your phone. They'll take care of the rest :!

5. Bear in mind also that AAMI have recently been fined, by the ACCC, $20,400 for two adverts that promoted AAMI car insurance.

Quote;
    ASIC was also concerned AAMI did not adequately inform viewers of the ads that they would need to choose the maximum level of excess to achieve the specified savings.

While AAMI included this information in fine print, ASIC said the fine print was “ineffective”.

“Advertised savings must be reasonably achievable and properly and prominently explained,” ASIC deputy chairman Peter Kell said in the statement.

“In this case, the fine print text disclaimer that attempted to explain the savings was so obscure that it was almost impossible for viewers to understand the underlying reality of the advertised claims.”

• Like Like x 1
  6. Saw this months ago and thought "not on your Nelly!".

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Like any business, AAMI would be compelled to hand over any records to the police should they be compelled to do so (by way of search warrant etc.) These interactions are necessarily legislated and regulated. The greater concern (as many of the comments above indicate) would be the motivation of an insurance company in creating and promoting a data logging app at obvious and considerable financial cost.

8. You've got to be stupid to fall for this kind of marketing BS!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. It's only a matter of time before this will probably be the status quo. Might take 30 years, but with technology constantly increasing and becoming cheaper, I can see the future where every car contains a black box like a plane but with more info (camera's, etc) to take out accident investigations. Either that, or there'll be a camera on every corner anyway, so either way everything will be recorded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I would assume they had subpoenas and suchlike in mind when they said that. There is no benefit to them in dobbing people in just because, but there is a lot for them to lose if they disobey the law themselves.

11. I remember reading somewhere that ECU's in cars and bikes record speed, braking etc... These details can be given to police when requested after an accident.

12. Remember under the propose Data Retention legislation the police simply take the data, they don't need to ask for it. One warrant - all the data is theirs.

13. no

14. The police already share information with insurance companies, f'rinstance about traffic accidents, that the rest of us are not given access to.
    IMO It would only take a little tweaking of the protocols for 'pre-incident' information channels to be opened up between insurers and enforcers. I doubt it would need legislation or the participation of the courts.

15. Sorry meant EDR when a crash happens. Kawasaki's have them for crashes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The majority of cars since 2000-ish have an Event Data Recorder (EDR) function to record diagnostic information about airbag deployment and non-deployment events. It's a function of the airbag control module.

The accessibility of this data varies, but is generally increasing. Some car brands are still inaccessible without assistance from the manufacturer. The data recorded generally contains a few seconds of pre-crash information (e.g. engine speed, wheel speed, brake light activation), and the actual change in velocity experienced during the collision.

The data does already get used for reconstructing accidents in conjunction with physical evidence from the scene.

In the case of the EDR, the information is only ever recorded in the event of a deceleration so severe that it 'wakes up' the airbag control module. i.e. it does not care about speeding on the M4, it does not care about hoonage or sick burnouts. The EDR only cares about a deceleration rate greater than 2G, i.e. severe enough to make the airbag controller wake up and think about whether it needs to intervene to protect the occupants or not.

Certain pretend-to-be-a-cheetah-on-the-internet motorcyclists may or may not have been trained in how to download and interpret said EDR data. >.>

Aside from the EDR, some powertrain modules record other data about car performance (e.g. Toyota Techstream, Ford power train controller) based off of unusual driving events and when fault codes are generated. Not sure how commonly accessible that data is.

I do not know if there are motorcycles which log speed/engine speed/braking data when a fault code is generated. It's something I'm trying to find out, for my own curiosity.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. ^ Chief party-pooper, Spots.

18. I see a business opportunity here. We can 'create' the perfect driver profile and then copy/clone this data on any other mobile phone for a nominal fee.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. There are also car ECUs that record how much time is spent in certain rev bands, use of launch control and can use GPS for speed limiting. Such functions have been used to deny warranty claims.

Web connected cars are now commonly available in the US and Europe and frankly, I find the idea frightening. Trackable and hackable - No Thanks.

20. its all bloody loretta jones's fault.

Spot's for the win, and certain manufactures, now and in the immediate future will implement along with smart technology data streaming back to head office for analysis. This I am informed is for future development and programming for modern ECU's TCU's and Safety systems like stability systems etc. The current concern in the groups I know who are discussing this is how much telemetry data is going to go back.... and stored...

Remember your smart TV(samsung) can send all overheard conversations back to the company responsible for developing the Voice Recognition Software, now.