Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National AAMI Insurance - New Riders

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by zan, Oct 25, 2012.

1. I recently just purchased a new motorcycle and shopped around for 3rd party insurance... I was simply amazed at AAMI's prices, it's almost too good to be true...

A couple months ago I was paying $200 a year for 3rd party only with QBE for my GPX 250. I did a quote from IMR on my new ninja 250 and its still around the $200 mark.

I was quoted by AAMI $82 for 3rd party insurance on my ninja. And was given the option to +$60 to my premium to cover fire & theft. That's $60 cheaper than competitors + adds fire & theft. Unfortunately their full comp. is still on par with competitors @ $2500, so will stick with 3rd party/fire/theft for now.

Besides that fact that their theft only covers up to $5,000 (which is perfect for a ninja 250) - am I missing something here?

I had a good read of their policy guide & claims guide, everything seems fine. Thought I'd just post this up for other riders looking for good value + let me know if I have missed anything, because at the moment, I'm pretty satisfied.

Thanks for reading.
  2. did you compare with Swann? but seems you have a good deal here
  3. No, I didn't. I'm a bit lazy and went through online quotes first, and after doing AAMI's online quote and seeing their value for money there really was no point looking further.

I think the average is $200 for 3rd party only from most insurance companies for new riders/P-platers. I remember ringing up a lot of companies last year when buying my GPX and QBE was the cheapest just under $200.

So I feel AAMI is giving me a good deal here.
  4. No complaints about aami from me.
    They will not cover track days but that is to be expected.
  5. Read the fine print. I think you'll find that they specify and 'inexperienced' rider excess which is an additional $1,500 on top of the standard excess. This is applied to anyone that has not completed 12 months on an open licence.
  6. Just did their online quote. $219 annual for 3rd party only.

Their third party fire & theft is a whopping $1,939 annual. This is why I'm surprised at AAMI offering me essentially the same insurance for $142 a year. Granted, AAMI only covers up to $5000 for theft, but that's roughly how much my ninja is going for anyways.
  7. Also be aware of the "no modifications" clause you have there. Modifications can be anything from new pipes, all the way down to a ventura rack or an anti scratch pad on your tank.
  8. I've had a thorough read of their claims guide and the excess charges match up with what's on my schedule. $550 Standard + $600 Listed under 24.

$1150 excess doesn't seem that bad, most other insurers have a similar rate.
  9. Thanks, will keep that in mind. I already have a tank pad on so I better go tell em.
  10. I never get more than $1,700 for a comprehensive insurance quote.

I'm a P-plater. Maybe I am doing something wrong?
  11. Woah 2500 is retarded.
    I'm on green P's now and have been since Dec last year (22 Now.), got a quote from swan for 1400 for a 2011 cbr250r went to QBE and they matched and beat it.
    Might wanna recheck full comp if you want some piece of mind.