Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Aaaaand another Police force using training to help rider safety.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Mar 13, 2013.

1. ...this seems to be a growing trend, except for in Victoria. Check out this story from Oaklahoma.

= = =

• [​IMG]

• Area motorcyclists have an opportunity to learn how to cut their risk of having a serious crash and could earn an insurance premium discount Saturday by taking the free Oklahoma Highway Patrol Motorcycle Safety Course On Advanced Collision Avoidance.

• Troopers Dave Cravens and Steven Johnson, who serve with OHP Troop MC (motorcycle) , will be two of the instructors for the class which will run from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the parking lot of Lone Grove High School, located at 6218 Meridian Road.

• The course is sponsored through a partnership between OHP and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.

• "Due to the increase in gas prices there is an increase use in motorcycles and with that increased use there has been an increase in accidents," Cravens said.

• What's important about the course? It's designed to reduce crashes through improved skills.

• "And it's free," Cravens said. "Riders are always asking, 'Well, how much does it cost?' It doesn't cost anything."

• While the course is for advanced riders, Craves and Johnson said the class isn't limited to specific type of motorcycle.

• "The course is for all ages and all kinds of bikes including trikes and scooters," Johnson said. Course topics will include:
      n How to pickup a bike up
      n Clutch and throttle techniques
      n Breaking skills (the most common causes of crashes)
      n Evasive maneuvering

• The course includes approximately one hour of classroom instruction.
      "But the classroom instruction is broken up throughout the day. Riders can expect to spend most of the day on their bikes," Cravens said.

• Those who complete the course will receive a certification of completion. Cravens and Johnson said depending on each riders insurance company the certificate could earn them a discount on their premium.

• Requirements for participation include:
      n Must present driver's license
      n Must present "M" (motorcycle) endorsement
      n Must present insurance verification
      n Own your own bike
      n Wear long pants, gloves, eye protections, above ankle boots, long sleeve shirt and helmet
      n Bring a sack lunch

• The course is limited to 30 students. Those wishing to participate must enroll online at www.ohpsaferiders.com and clicking on "classes" located at the top of the screen. If the course is cancelled due to inclement weather, students will receive an email informing them of the cancellation.

• Cravens and Johnson said no passenger riders will be allowed throughout the day-long class. However, spectators are welcome.

= = = =

What a great idea.

= =
    • Like Like x 5
  2. wouldn't take much of our TAC levy to fund this. probably a fraction of the cost of a TAC ad campaign.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Remember the Red Flag Black Flag programme? This one was pushed by VMAC (then) and implemented to get Police to interact with riders via a "quasi training" approach. The problem was that the cops didn't really understand what it was they were supposed to be doing. It ended up as a "handing out leaflets" exercise and they collected stats. The results were positive. TonyE can provide better feedback.

I agree that this would be ideal for TAC levy - and even better if it was funded by TAC using money that otherwise would have been spent on their useless ad campaigns.
  4. I know a couple of VP members (riders) who would probably love to be involved in something like this. Maybe even donate some time. But not without executive approval (too much risk of liability).
  5. Maybe that would be a good Public Campaign to get behind and promote - Police passing their skills and knowledge on to riders, in a way that riders would lap it up.

Time to push some executive buttons maybe? Question to put to their political masters?
  6. Correct. It was discussed by the Saturday practice with some local HWP members about doing this a long time ago . It was run up the chain but came back as; No, because
    1) if something happened they would sue VicPol for teaching them. 2) The VicPol members that wanted to do it weren't trained "trainers" ie have the required Cert iv etc.
    3) VicPol would have to take members off the road to do this. And at the time there was a big push for all members to be out on the road.
    4) The are other providers oit in the private sector that already do this. (yes I know you would have to pay and this scheme is free)
  7. So if I crash can I sue the company that gave me my driving licence? They said I was good enough to operate my bike, obviously they did not know what they are doing because I crashed.

They only need the cert iv if they are an RTO and giving out a recognised qualification.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. #8 Ljiljan, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    Silly, we already get our free training in their ads. And that reaches everyone, not just 10 or so at a time. (n)
    Something sits wrong with this and I can't put a finger on it. It just doesn't sound right, something along the lines of they have liability due to not being qualified - as though 665 got his first two points the wrong way around.
  9. When you do put your finger on it please let me know.
  10. Sorry, I don't have the legal knowledge to give an appropriate response. But something rings true in the vicpol logic and how litigious our society is.
  11. I do not doubt that everyone is out there covering their arses etc, but when I did my cert IV (even as a teacher, with a teaching degree, I required it to teach some courses in VIC) we were informed that it is only required if you are working in an RTO and handing out a recognised qualification.

If VICpol wanted to do this training for motorcyclists I know of an RTO that would be willing to put them through their CERT IV.
  12. It's not hard to avoid liability, just require a people sign a disclaimer stating that participants agree they are solely responsible for their own safety and acknowledge that while all care will be taken by the instructors they will be teaching the techniques and practices considered best AT THE TIME and that things are always subject to change, that participants are responsible for how they implement what they are being taught, and that this is NOT a formal qualification.

I totally agree that something like that scheme is infinitely better than just telling motorcyclists we're all going to die and it's our own fault.