Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National ...aaaaand another police force getting behind rider training - U.S. Minnesota

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Apr 2, 2013.

1. http://www.kimt.com/content/localne...-Training-Offered/_wk191D8kUGisLt7izLS_w.cspx

Motorcycle Safety Training Offered

KIMT NEWS 3 -- Minnesota safety officials are looking to help you stay safe when you hit the road with your motorcycle this year.

The Motorcycle Safety Center, a division of the Department of Public Safety, is offering training courses all over the state.

The training teaches crash avoidance techniques and hones important riding skills to keep you safe.

More than fifty riders lost their lives during 2012, a twenty six percent increase from 2011.

"We do know that with more training, there more likely they stay safe on the roadways, know what to look for and how to handle themselves on that motorcycle,” Sgt. Jacalyn Sticha of the Minnesota State Patrol said. “And avoid a crash or at least reduce their odds of crashing.”

Training courses are available at 30 locations throughout Minnesota, including Rochester, Mankato and Albert Lea.

= = = =

I've got stacks of these sorts of news articles queued up from UK and USA... I just wonder why our mob think they have the right formula?

= = =
  2. Strange response from one of the few states where helmets are optional.The wrestler Jessie Ventura got voted in as governor and his first duty was to make helmets optional because he refused to ride his Harley wearing a helmet. He did turn up to a lot of official functions riding his hog rather than arrive in his limo.
  3. Personally, I like the idea of non-compulsory helmets, even though I would wear one anyway. The less state intervention in the lives of individuals, the better. I suspect there isn't even a big public health cost if helmets were non-compulsory and a non-helmeted rider had a crash, as there is a higher probability they would be dead on the spot, which is cheaper from a public health perspective than a stay in hospital.
  4. Never really thought about it they way.
  5. How much $ to care for a veggie for life? My guess is that it is pretty expensive. Probably more expensive than a rider crashing with helmet and spending a week or two in hospital.

If wearing helmets are made non-compulsory, I reckon insurance payout should be lower, maybe capped at 80% of their benefits, if not wearing their helmet contributed to their death.

Same with seat belts.

Know the risk and take responsibility for your own actions.
  6. Bizarrely there is now a fair bit of data that removing compulsory helmet laws is saving lives as there is now a ready supply of young, healthy organ donors....and the transplant teams are able save 2.3 lives for each rider that is lost..
  7. Lets just make everything optional.
  8. Interesting stats...

I think it's all too easy to draw parallels between the US and Australia. They have a user-pays style system whereas we all have to take on the burden of a crippled rider on the healthcare system.

And with rider-training as well. In most states you do a cone-weave and you're ready for a Hyabusa. Our system is better set up, at least it was in NSW where I went for my licence.
  9. That's not the only bizarre stuff.

Here is a Forbes article about a respected medical journal - the New England Journal of Medicine - which shows that smoking _increases_ government revenue and _reduces_ public health costs.

It seems that smokers work and pay a lot of tax in their younger years, while smoking. They then die around retirement age, about the time they would stop working (and therefore stop paying tax) and start to draw on public health and social security.

I wonder if it is the same for moto riders with no helmets who end up dead with some healthy organs for donation plus a family funded funeral is cheaper than several months in hospital rehabilitating. Morbid, but perhaps true.

Anyway, I'm for free choice and I'd choose to wear a helmet plus the other gear regardless.
  10. @robsalvv
    To which mob are you referring ? and what do you understand their formula to be? Just curious as you have posted up quite a few similar articles lately without much comment from your good self as to the benefit or not of police offering training courses like these. What is your POV on it all?
  11. mob = our road safety agencies.

I have at least another half dozen of such articles peppering my news feeds lately. I must have come across dozens in the last year.

There appears to be some movement in various locations around the world, where enforcement and governmental agencies are working together with the riding fraternity and are directly encouraging or employing training as a key method to improve rider safety. That's NOT the experience here in Victoria.

In the case of the UK, there's a fully fledged government backed activity, directed solely at driver awareness of motorcyclists. That's not the experience here in Victoria.

In other cases, there are local government level efforts along the same awareness and training lines dotted about the place. That's not the expereince here in Victoria.

In Victoria, the enforcement agencies and enforcement philosophy has a strangle hold of roadsafety and roadsafety has one pillar, compliance with the road rules.
  12. ok

IMHO one of the reasons govcos like to use police to provide these types of courses is that they are more likely to be able to control the syllabus ... unlike what might happen if it was outsourced to training organisations. Of course NSW has the syllabus thing tied up in their licensing courses (ie they own the courses) but I am not sure how it could be controlled via outsourcing unless through adult education type modules. Even then you would have the possibility of variations from the personal POV of the teacher.
  13. Hey Rob do you have anything about this happening in Mighigan?
  14. Helmet laws were just repealed. I think they've instituted compulsory basic training for under 21's. Can't say I've come across local Gov sponsored training - it's possible though.
  15. They do advance rider courses as well??

The smoking thing makes sense, and i guess the helmet argument. Wouldn't like to be first on the scene though - i cringe enough when i see a wife beater and shorts.
  16. I'm still waiting for the Police Media Unit to get back to me on the question I put to them on this subject (along with several others I believe) during their online chat.

Not holding my breath.

Maybe its time for VMC to put out a media release asking why they won't follow the example being adopted everywhere else except here in Vic.