Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aaaaaargh!!! give me some decent roads to ride on

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by ozphil, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Just emigrated from England to Oz. Ride a Harley and live in Hampton, Victoria. Bloody traffic lights every 1000m, speed limits and speed nazis are doing my head in.

Please can someone recommend some nice rides outside of the Tedium that is Melbourns suburbia, that allows me to get some speed up without running into a radar gun every 5 minutes.

many thanks

Phil

2. Hey ozphil,

I see you're a newcomer - welcome to Oz and Netrider bud !
    Seriously, Victoria in particular is being governed by such ridiculous road rules lately that it is, sadly enough, difficult for anyone to mention (let alone on a public, 'scanned' forum) exact locations of much-enjoyed roads.

Inner suburbia is crawling with 'Big-Brother' style speed traps, cameras, wannabe (failed?) Commando-wannabe Police Officers dressed in camouflage clothing hiding in certain locations, trying to catch speeding motorists...who might well be a mere 3km over the limit.
    Get yourself a HEMA motorcycle Atlas - can be purchased online or at motorcycle retail stores in Melbourne. Religiously, many talk about how good this atlas is, outlining the plethora of fantastic & most popular roads Australia-wide.

Have fun and good luck mate. Your right wrist is your friend, in these parts.

PS - The above highlighted letters joined might indicate some place of importance to you (y)

Welcome aboard !

3. You can ask but get your answers via pm the cops monitor these forums and are ready to fleece you dry.

4. you should have moved to NSW :LOL:

5. I'll do you a deal mate. For every speed camera you necklace I'll send the details of another great road to ride. We need some Poms to come here and show us how it's done.

Deal?

6. That was a bold suggestion, Nick...

ozphil - welcome down under mate.

The parts of Victoria that are well above sea level have some great roads in them. Google-maps will show you.

7. we may have more Gatso's than blighty, but we have less roundabouts...:) The roads are out there Phil, but any infringement around the burbs is likely to cost you brass.

8. there is a book of rides
    http://www.bitchnbitumen.com.au/BB.php
    plod are on the reefton and black spur and gor but a lot of the others are generally OK.
    if you're old enough join ulysses, melb branch ride every sunday and manage to find good roads.

9. You're on a Masse Davidson so speed shouldn't be a problem. But as far as trying to find a decent road with no filth on it, it's a bit of a 50/50 these days. Welcome to Victoria.

10. Get on North road at Brighton East and head east. After 20km or so of straight road you'll start to hit the good stuff.