Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A weekend oops in Perth

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pvda, Dec 19, 2006.

*deep breath*

2. Just recieved a set of these on e-mail.

3. trying to lane split perhaps???

new toy for Chrstmas and lost it already?
  4. And he bought that car to look cool!! bwaaahaaa....bwaaahaaa....bwaaahaaa...oops I think I just wet myself.....
  5. Yeah saw these pics on a car forum. Apparently the guy was well over 0.05 (probably why he tried to do a runner) so no insurance for him. Probably just as well since he also apparantly has a reputation for driving like a complete knob. Some people just don't deserve to have nice things.
  6. All the hours I spent propping up that brick wall in the Windsor Hotel, and I MISS THIS!!

(And I saw plenty of close calls near that exact pole)

Terrible shame about the car though.
  7. Looks like someone found out that when pushed under power, a mid mount car might understeer a little!
    I think he got on the power too early, after coming in too hot, and pushed the front end wide.
    The early 911's were commonly seen in this pose in Sydney in the 80's......either that or backwards into poles. :roll:

Regards, Andrew.
  8. At the risk of being a pedantic ass, I must point out that those cars "in the 80's" were certainly not "early 911's". By the early 80's the 911 was already 20 years old, having been first launched in 1964.
  9. First picture, look at the kid just to the left of the pole the Ferrari violated. It's gold.
  10. are you suggesting there were no early model 911's left in the 80's?
    they may have just become affordable for the semi-affluent ;)

i out-pedant you :LOL:
  11. Err not quite. A mid-engined car can understeer under braking or deceleration since weight isn't transferred as rapidly to the front wheels as with a front-engined car - usually only a problem for drivers who try to throw it into a corner too fast (ie try to drive it like a front-engined car). Under acceleration however a mid-engined car will most definately oversteer if too much throttle is used (especially if it has plenty of hp and/or limited traction).
  12. Suffer. How embarrassing. :LOL:

He can afford to buy one. He can afford to fix it. Just a minor irritation of not having
    a Ferrari in the garage for few wks no doubt. :grin:
  13. surely the further the mass of the engine is from the drive wheels (rear), by a simple lever calculation, the more weight will be on the front wheels to steer under acceleration giving less understeer.
    which in turn would suggest the closer the mass of the motor is to the rear wheel, less weight on front wheel, more understeer.
  14. .......xxxx.........

x = motor
    = = chassis
    O = wheels
    > = drive force
    ^ = resultant force (moments/levers;force x distance from fulcrum inc. assumtion of driving force)
    . = filling empty space

O >>>...........O

this hopefully demonstrates what im thinking....
  15. Too much of an oversimplification - you're forgetting that with rear-wheel drive the rear end of the car can also be pushed (or steered) using the throttle. The further back the weight bias the more pronounced this effect is. Sure under acceleration a mid or rear engined car will have slightly less weight over the front wheels than a front engined vehicle. However if it deviates even slightly from a perfectly straight line (highly likely since even with a diff power isn't going to be distributed perfectly evenly between the driving wheels) then there's going to be a tendency for the back to step out (ie oversteer). Try driving a mid or rear engined car in the wet and you'll soon see my point.
  16. i understand about oversteer, however i am trying to press on the effect of the weight bias with the motor in the rear.

i relate it to my tractor, whilst having the rotary broom on the 3PL. be stuffed if i can steer it as effectively as if there was no implement on the back.
    also seen in my tippers with hoist up, load on, unable to steer at all due to weight bias. sure extreme examples but plausible you must agree.
  17. For my $0.02 worth, I back the mid-engine = oversteer camp. Early Toyota MR2s (mid-engine) are/were well known for for excellent corner handling up to a point, beyond which they would bite you with vicious oversteer :eek:hno: . I think it's to do with rear-drive plus more weight towards the rear creating a tendency for the rear to step out when cornering, especially if traction becomes limited because of reduced grip or excessive power (I think this is paraphrasing what jd said, but hey, its late!). To the best of my knowledge mid-engined cars and oversteer go hand-in-hand.

As for the Ferrari around the pole? Priceless! :rofl:
  18. With a tipper/tractor however I'm guessing that you have a situation where there's a significant load mounted well behind the rear axle that's also attached fairly high to the body - which would vastly increase the lift of the front wheels (ie it's going to make the chassis want to pivot around the rear axle). With a rear-engined car however the weight is located much closer to the axle line and is also usually quite low - so the effect is only very minor. Like I said understeer only occurs on a mid-engined car if/when you try and turn too fast/early into a corner - in which case the rear-end will tend to try and push the front end wide (ie understeer). Of course they can also oversteer if you push them too fast into a corner too - that's what makes driving a mid-engined car so interesting (and fun). Well that and the fact they'll out handle anything else on the road :) (offroad is another story).
    Edit: Oh and Ughboots is certainly right about early MR2s and their handling. The first generation SW20 has exceptional handling provided you don't lift off the throttle or brake mid corner. Doing so will shift weight forward off the rear wheels causing them to lose traction - this is appropriately referred to as snap-oversteer (I know because I own one).
  19. :LOL: classic. everyone in all the photos have smiles and laughs on their faces - except the owner :LOL: ... and it also looks like a few people are taking photos and texting their mates. word spreads fast these days. makes you worry 'bout what you're doin' in public eh?! note to self - don't drop bike outside crowded pub

would one of the grammar nazis please enlighten me on this - should this read "for the wages of sin are death" ????