Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A very cool Helmet

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by enmore, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Dear Santa, I know it's only Januarybut please can I have one of these? Please please please???

2. Seems like a cool solution to a problem that doesnt exist.
  3. #3 MichaelM, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    As someone who knows a bit about Augmented Reality, I see several issues with this.

The first thing people should know with these kinds of displays is that you can't focus on the display and objects in the real world at the same time. The reason for this is because the apparent distance from these displays (how far away your eyes think they are) is usually only around 40cm. This means your eyes need to refocus when you change between looking at the road vs. the display. Not really any different from when you look at the speedo. The reason I'm bringing it up is to say you can't really overlay proper augmented reality style graphics, and for the next point:

They have the display positioned basically in the middle of your vision. In my opinion, this is a very bad idea. Even when you aren't focused on the display, it's going to be obscuring your view of the real world. This is obviously dangerous on a motorbike. They say that the reason they've done this is because "that's where you see best". They seem to have forgotten that you can move your eyeballs independently of your head!

The third thing is obviously you'll be buying a very expensive helmet, and you throw the technology away when you change your helmet!

I think a much better idea is to use something like Google Glass. In fact, on a motorbike is about the only really good use case I can think of for Google Glass. It get's around all the issues above:

You can position the display in the upper right of your field of vision. You glance up to it when you want it, and it's out of the way when you need to look at the road.

The hardware is quite small, and would easily fit into most helmets, even with the visor down.

You take it with you when you change helmets.

Seriously, Google Glass is what you want, if you want something like this.