Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A Traitor to the Empire

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by titus, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Yep, I've gone over to the Hun!
    (...er, sorry, that should be 'Germanic speeking Peoples' in the modern, PC world, I suppose).
    Went out and spent the kids' inheritance on a nice, clean Austrian-made, '06 KTM 950 Supermoto, in black, and nothing will ever be the same again.
    Am I mad? Possibly - but not half as mad as this thing. It's absolutely, utterly magnificently barking. I may just christen it the March Hare.
    But why? Well... it wasn't an easy decision. The Speed Triple has been just fantastic. Not the fastest thing around but not bad, and never, ever anything less than a thrill and a laugh. Never put a foot wrong on the road, and been kind to me in the workshop, too. But time moves on, and some part of me hungered for a new experience or two before I get too bloody old to appreciate it.
    And there was another thing. Since the very beginning of my riding life, I've harboured the dream that somewhere out there was a bike that could actually do everything. From track to commuting, from freeway to dirt. Maybe it doesn't exist, but since it was announced I've wondered if the 950 SM could maybe be the closest that you can ever get.
    And now I'm about to find out :grin:
    Not as fast as the Trumpy, but then neither am I, and if The KTM has a particular weakness it's probably touring. I don't get to do that much these days, and if I do, I'll just have to grit the teeth and live with it. But loads of torque, amazing suspension and brakes, and something I just don't have a a name for. It's a mad, crazy beast.
    So the S3 has to go. It'll be sad, but at least it'll be all good memories, and while it'll be goodbye to Old England, I've a sneaking suspicion that it may not be forever.
    But for now, it's a brave new world of sauerkraut and schnapps for me and the March Hare. :)

2. You'll have to change your sig :(.

Sounds like fun, you only live once after all.....
  3. It may not be as fast as the speed triple but it sure looks like a bucket of fun, enjoy.

P.S. Im sure theres a screen for touring available so have a look around.
  4. Oops, forgot all about that :oops:
    The strange thing is, the first time I tested on of these it impressed me, but just didn't reach out and grab me the way some other bikes have. When I tested this particular example it just seemed to 'click'. I'm told they are very sensitive to preload setup, and maybe the previous owner knew his stuff and got it working just right. I DID notice however, that it needs a very different set of rider inputs to the S3, or any normal bike for that matter. Something to learn, all over again.

Robbied, the screen idea is an interesting one - hadn't thought of that.
  5. Welcome to the family :cool:

I have a Superduke and those words sound very familiar :LOL:

They are a hot looking bike mate, got the Akras on order yet?
  6. Please keep us informed. I've almost been suckered in by the 'touring' pack promotion twice now. I doubt I'll resist a third time...
  7. I'm Ktulu's poor quality stand in, and I'm not happy about a lack of pictures. This is not a new bike thread until pictures are posted. You have been told!

:) I had to insert a Ktulu like image. Congrats on the new bike :)
  8. ^^
    rob, you make me spill my coffee.
  9. Rob's back in true form I see .. :LOL: :LOL:
  10. #10 titus, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Bamm-Bamm, thanks for the welcome to the family :). Superduke was definitely on the list, but that was a step too far money-wise. Akras may have to wait a little while - or I could sell one of the kids? The standard cans sound pretty good, too.

Snow-Dog: 'Touring Pack', eh? Got any information? I'll have to see what this is all about...

Rob, I'd love to oblige, but I haven't got my hands on the bloody thing, yet!
    When I get it home, we'll see.

In the meanwhile, there's vmeZ2DZINb4[/media]]this to give you an idea. (I'll probably have to manage without the Greek rap soundtrack but I wouldn't mind a go on that road).
  11. Congrats, great looking bike.

Rode a 950 Adventure and a very capable bike on the dirt. No doubt the SM will be heaps of fun.

Only issue touring will be tank size (is it 16 litres?), not too heavy throttle should see close to 250kms - but where's the fun in that :p
  12. tank is 17 litres (including the 2.5L reserve), which is not too bad IMO, for this type of bike. The final gearing is really tall however, so it will be interesting to see how that works out, because it really is barely ticking over at 100kph. I think it may actually do better than S3 in some circumstances.
  13. If it's anything like the SD, you will benefit greatly by going to a 16 tooth front...rather than the 17 that is fitted standard. On the SD it helps the smoothness of the bike immensely when around town...with the stock gearing it was a bit of a pig and on the freeway 6th gear was almost like an overdrive...KTM gear all of their bikes high to ensure they pass noise regs...the most common and best mod to do is drop a tooth off the front. In fact all 2007/2008 dukes now have th 16 tooth as standard

Oh and if it's anything like the SD fuel economy sucks!, but then I didn't buy it for fuel economy :twisted:
  14. Sweet bike Wayne. May it tempt you into wanton acts.