Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A timely reminder of the importance of safety gear and CPR

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Cell9765, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Hi all, i have close ties with the BMW club in canberra and recieved an emil with these details the other day. Thought i would share to message in the hope of encouraging all concerned to protect themselves.

Cheers,
    Camo

I came across a motorcycle accident on the weekend between Bateman's Bay and Nelligen.

The accident had happened only a few minutes before hand and the rider and bike were still on the ground with one of his riding buddies offering assistance to him and a few other people standing around.

The rider who was in his early twenties was conscious but was disoriented and looking pretty pale (likely concussion and shock, possible internal injuries). He was complaining of pain to his upper left arm.

His helmet had suffered major gravel rash. He had been wearing a good quality jacket, gloves, kevlar reinforced jeans and motorcycle boots.

Some points of interest:

Although a few other people were standing around / or helping. No one had thought to call the ambulance (it was obvious this guy needed one).

Although we were only 5 kms from Bateman's Bay there was no mobile phone reception.

His gear had most likely saved him from more injuries.

He had been third rider in a group of four. The first two riders did not return in the period of time that I was at the site (approximately 25 minutes) so were obviously unaware that he was in off the road.

My thoughts:

The guy who had the accident was most likely riding outside his skill level trying to keep up with the first two riders in the group.

A timely reminder that we should ride at our own pace at all times.

His gear saved him from even more serious injuries.

A timely reminder that you should buy the best gear you can afford and wear it all the time.

Due to the location the ambulance turned up in a very short time. What would the situation have been like if it was in a more remote situation and the rider was more seriously injured???

A timely reminder that we should all do some first aid training and keep that training current. How many of us would be in a position to offer first aid assistance to one of our friends if a similar incident occurred on one of our rides??

2. A good reminder - particularly if you like riding remote regions (Reefton for Victorians is a good one - no mobile reception and at least an hour for the ambo).

Still, some people you just can't tell them, they need to experience the pain to understand. :(

3. I've been meaning to do a first aid course.

If you have victorian ambulance membership that entitles you to a discount on a first aid course.

4. I have level 1 first aid certificate, it is my fervent prayer I've wasted my time doing it. If you know what i mean?

If you are at a remote location and cant get mobile reception
    Call 112, not 000.
    It will connect you to any available network in the area.

Scheff

5. 112 also works without a SIM card.

Same goes for gear. I spend heaps on it, likewise, in the fervent hope that I never have to find out how good it is. My only time finding out was a slow-speed lowside on some oil in a corner in the city. Ended up on my side skidding at about 30kph. No injuries to my shoulder thanks to armour/jacket. Then proceeded to slide on my palm and knee before standing up on the run. No damage to my hand thanks to good gloves but I ripped my knee up a bit because I was wearing normal jeans. If I had been wearing better riding pants I probably would have got out of it scot-free.

6. and he ended up with severe bruising to his ego along with some bad scrapes and bruises to his body.

the road through to nelligen is fairly terrible, and whilst riding outside your ability will get you, so will that slushy rta 14mm seal depending on road temperature.
    the stoopid fools used too much cutter and now every time it gets above 20 degrees road temp it turns in to soup.

but yes, gear will save you :)

7. Updating mine next week :grin:

9. I recently updated my first aid and CPR. If an ambulance is an hour away (if you were at Reefton in vic for an example) you can keep someone's vital organs functioning as opposed to looking on helplessly and hoping for the best.

It takes three minutes for a non breathing person to be brain damaged permanently.

I hope I never have to need it. But at least I'll know what to do in an emergency.

So think of your family. Think of your mates. And do it for them.

Jen

10. This number does not work from CDMA phones!!!!!!!!!!!

If you use a CDMA phone, You will still need to use 000, however if you dont have credit etc, it will still work. If you dont have reception, try walking around the next corner, or up the hill a little as the reception of a CDMA phone is much greater than that of a digital (as an example on the reefton the CDMA will go in and out of reception, where as a digital wont get service at all)

Emily

11. Aha! I am glad it wasn't you guys who did that road, same problem with teh Princes Hwy between Moruya and Mogo. Mel's Magna is covered in tar from last summer..........
    As for accidents, I think everyone should know how to make someone injured comfortable without furtehr injuring them at the very least! So many times I have seen people left laying out in the sun, after all sorts of accidents. On a hot road shoulder would be even worse! At least hold a jacket over them or something.
    I think I will buy one of those silver thermal blankets next time I see one, to compliment my first aid kit.
    Being pushed outside your comfort zone is one reason I will decline a group ride if I think they are a bunch of cowboys....

Regards, Andrew.

12. yep, we dont do the princes hwy....unless it is a construction seal and rta crew cant get there.
    we do however do the kings hwy from the top of the clyde to canberra. you should notice the difference in road quality from the palerang shire coucil boundary....

dunno if you've done the clyde lately but there is another rta seal on one of the 25km/h corners where the aggregate is completely stripped from the road leaving only bitumen. someone will die there.

wd-40 and a rag will remove the bitumen from the magna without harming the paint :)

13. thanks for this post cell9765, you have no idea how many times we have turned up to a scene with a grossly injured patient and 20 people standing around doing nothing - not because they don't care but because they don't know what to do.

It might sound lame but if you can do nothing else hold the persons hand and reassure them - it's been proven to reduce pain and anxiety. And unless the pt is unconscious or has removed the helmet themselves it's probably a good idea to leave it on unless you know the correct technique for third person removal.

Great post.

Cheers e x

14. Just a point of interest regarding the 112 number:

If you are overseas - anywhere in the world - with a GSM (non-CDMA, non AMPS / analogue) phone - 112 will work as well - on the proviso of course that there is a network covering the area you are in.