Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

...a system of concepts worked out in steel...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mattb, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Replying to another thread I was motivated to revisit some old favourite quotes from Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I had to share my favourite:

"That's all the motorcycle is, a system of concepts worked out in steel. There's no part in it, no shape in it, that is not out of someone's mind — number three tappet is right on too. One more to go. This had better be it — . I've noticed that people who have never worked with steel have trouble seeing this...that the motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon. They associate metal with given shapes...pipes, rods, girders, tools, parts...all of them fixed and inviolable, and think of it as primarily physical. But a person who does machining or foundry work or forge work or welding sees "steel" as having no shape at all. Steel can be any shape you want if you are skilled enough, and any shape but the one you want if you are not. Shapes, like this tappet, are what you arrive at, what you give to the steel. Steel has no more shape than this old pile of dirt on the engine here. These shapes are all out of someone's mind. That's important to see. The steel? Hell, even the steel is out of someone's mind. There's no steel in nature. Anyone from the Bronze Age could have told you that. All nature has is a potential for steel. There's nothing else there. But what's "potential"? That's also in someone's mind! — Ghosts."

2. Nah, piss orf!
    A motorcycle is like a beautiful woman:

- treat it right and you can ride it hard.
    - when you f*&% up, you'll have to buy very pretty and very expensive things to make it right.
    - blokes without one of their own are jealous.
    - a few very priveleged men are allowed to have two.
    - expensive shoes!
    - some VERY hot ones come from Europe and Japan... some larger and not so hot ones come from America.
    - will scream when you give them some stick...

I'm sure this has been done/brainstormed before on here[?]
  3. nah, piss off!

motorcycles are like men,

-they vibrate between the legs, but they dont know how to please a woman [most anyway]

- some VERY hot ones come from Europe ... some larger and not so hot ones come from America :LOL: [brilliant 2loo!]

- upgradable

- could get stollen if another woman likes what she sees

- hates getting sand in its parts

- doesnt work well on loose biatchimen

- does heaps of LOUD NOISY FARTS!
  4. *Performance and beauty are often proportional to maintenance required.
    *Anyone can ride one, it takes skill to ride one well.
    *They're up on blocks and out of action at regular intervals.
    *All you need to get one is lots of money.
    *They'll kick you off if you've had too much to drink.
    *The ugly ones can be the most fun, but don't let your mates catch you.
    *Not all of them appreciate taking the dirt track.

Yep, bikes are definitely women.
  5. thats why we say "she" instead of it!

6. ward 4e wrote

nah nah, you say 'she' cause you're lonely.

leotard wrote

[good one!] common! bikes are hansome! look at the vmax from 20clock, thats a man!