Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

A Sustainable Australia? – ABS Australian Demographic Statistics, Mar 2011

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Sir Ride Alot, Sep 29, 2011.

1. The latest ABS stats released today show a 312,000 increase during the 12 months to March 2011.

What the pluck is sustainable about that?

How much carbon will another 312,000 people emit?

It's out of control.

Attached Files:

2. A 1.4% annual increase means our population will double in 50 years.

If that growth continued for the next 1000 years this is the population will be:

100 Years 91,093,079
    200 Years 365,831,317
    500 Years 23,695,581,977
    1000 Years 24,753,971,029,655

So plainly we have to pick a time to stop growing. We should do so before we are full.
  3. Check this bloke out. He really believes turning Australia into a “sardine can” will work.

Does he realise that the population has already just about doubled? If it failed before how the f’k will it succeed this time?

By saying we have a problem he is admitting that the past huge increases in population have failed.

Also there are over one million Australians out of work and many that are under employed looking for more hours.

Minister Craig Emerson whose side are you on?

Big Australia back on the agenda, says Craig Emerson
    by: Matthew Franklin, Chief political correspondent - From:The Australian - October 01, 201112:00AM

TRADE Minister Craig Emerson has reignited the Big Australia debate by insisting Australia must boost immigration levels to fully exploit its potential in the "Asian century".

In a move that puts him at odds with Julia Gillard's 2010 election campaign call for "a sustainable Australia, not a big Australia", Dr Emerson has warned that labour and skills shortages threaten to restrict the nation's capacity to lift exports and must be met with higher immigration levels.

The minister's warning came yesterday in an economic position paper designed to spark public debate about the need for what Dr Emerson describes as a "third phase" of economic reform to boost national productivity.

Central to his proposal is advocacy for increased permanent and temporary immigration directed to areas where it is needed -- including mining states and rural and regional areas that he believes have the potential to boost food production to serve growing Asian markets.

Dr Emerson released his paper to The Weekend Australian yesterday, with the knowledge of the Prime Minister, who this week announced she had asked former Treasury secretary Ken Henry to prepare a white paper about Australia in the Asian century.

Dr Emerson, a former adviser to Bob Hawke, has emerged in recent months as a strong defender of Ms Gillard's leadership and a proponent for greater focus on economic reform.

His 17-page paper endorses key aspects of Labor's economic policies since it took office in 2007: particularly the carbon tax and higher spending on education and infrastructure.

But he argues: "Australia's sparkling future in the Asian century will require higher levels of temporary and permanent immigration as shortages of skills and general labour choke off the country's capacity to expand in exports and domestic economy. If Australia's 2020 vision is to be realised,
    a rational debate about immigration levels will need to occur."

Early last year, the government's third intergenerational report noted that under existing immigration and population growth levels the nation's population would hit 35 million by 2050.

Then prime minister Kevin Rudd called for a debate about "a big Australia" but Ms Gillard, after ousting Mr Rudd last June, stressed that her focus was on sustainable population growth, with migrants directed to communities with labour shortages.

Dr Emerson told The Weekend Australian yesterday he was not disputing Ms Gillard's policy principles, noting she had never argued for an immigration intake below the historic average of 180,000 people a year and that in the 2011-12 budget the government had announced a 16,000 increase on the previous year's intake of 180,000, directed to the regions.

"I'm saying let's not be afraid of a growing population and of talking about where that population is needed," Dr Emerson said. "It helps give practical expression to the PM's desire for a sustainable population by proposing the use of market forces to boost the economies of regional Australia as we seek to capitalise on Asia's growing appetite for high-protein foods such as beef and sheep meat."

4. I wonder if anyone has ever thought that we've had a Skills shortage for 30 years, our immigration rates have averaged at 1.7% over this time and we still have a skills shortage.

Maybe it doesn't work.
  5. I would have thought that a population increase would generally lower our "average" or per capita carbon emissions, as a fair chunk of that comes from mining/other industry less related to our actual population.

That said, we need a better plan than "Get 'em in" or "Keep 'em out."

RE skills, not happy with labour cutting the discount for paying uni/tafe upfront in half. Apparently that scheme was only to the benefit of "rich" people. ****ers. (I don't even want to think about what Abbott might have done, though)
  6. And just think, Australia is on the very low end of population growth rates with respect to many other parts of the world...

Don't worry about CO2 (assuming you weren't being facetious), worry about food and water.
  7. Actually, our birth rate is quite a bit higher than the world average at 1.2%. Our current is 1.4% and the average over the last 40 years is 1.7%.

There are some places with a growth rate of 3% which gives you a doubling time of a tad over 20 years. Pakistan for instance will double it's population of 140 million in less than 20 years. It already is struggling to feed itself and has serious water problems which are being made worse by climate change. It's hard to see how it will end in anything but tears. They got nuks too.
  8. and when those overcrowded countries run out of resources and turn their eyes to our wide open spaces......
  9. This.
  10. Our wide open spaces are uninhabitable.
  11. Yeah but...

Australia is one of the most sparsely populated countries in the world.

In fact, Australia rates 234th out of 241 with density at only 3 people per Kilometer.

I'm visiting Malta right now which ranked 8th with 1318 people per Kilometer, just to put in perspective.

Note how different those numbers are?

So can I be frank? Although I understand that people are worried about their own lives, jobs, and standard of living, if you look on a global scale we come across pretty poorly when we cry about 1.4 percent growth.

Any claims of 'f_ck off we're full,' really are rubbish claims in reality.

We need to be worrying about global population growth not national in my opinion.
  12. to us. at the moment. with our current expected standard of living.

as soon as you change the parameters though there's plenty of land that we would consider marginal that to other people would be perfectly habitable
  13. Call me crazy, or selfish or morally bankrupt - but I don't want to change my current expected standard of living.
  14. F.U.D and bullish*t abound.
  15. Indeed.
  16. There's nothing crazy about a high standard of living. Quality not quantity.
  17. It's funny, Germany's got almost 100 times as many people per Kilometer at 229, and their standard of living's pretty high. In fact, really high.

And you say uninhabitable - have you ever herd of a place called Dubai? Something out of nothing my fiends.

We should look at population growth as potential not fear it.

1.4% is nothing anyway frankly.

Facts people watch out
  18. The rest of the world can do as they please. If they want to live in a a sardine can that’s their choice.

It is our choice not to and in a democracy there is nothing wrong with that.
  19. Hey if you want to think that you can, just know not everyone agrees with you. Particularly me.
  20. That's cool as long as you realise you're part of the minority.